View Poll Results: should adults be allowed to canvass children at the school gates?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes directly outside children are fair game

6 23.08%
  • no there should be an exclusion zone.

20 76.92%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: outside schools

Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post

The whole purpose of education is to enable children to grow up and make their own decisions in adult life. They will be unable to do that if they are brainwashed with any religious teachings of any persuasion. They will only end up believing that 'their' religion is the only religion.
    Maybe you are that feeble minded, other people aren't.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post

The whole purpose of education is to enable children to grow up and make their own decisions in adult life. They will be unable to do that if they are brainwashed with any religious teachings of any persuasion. They will only end up believing that 'their' religion is the only religion.

Maybe you are that feeble minded, other people aren't.
    According to your PM you wanted nothing more to do with me. So why get personal? Up till now my posts have been of a general nature concerning the thread content.
    Last edited by bigboab; 09-09-2007 at 10:41 AM.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Who are you to tell other people how they should educate their children. If Muslims believe that the best way to educate their own children is in a school which teaches their religion then that's up to them, not you.

Someone else coming to their school and giving children pamphlets, or books or whatever is not the same thing. "Up till now my posts have been of a general nature concerning the thread content." - Pish, you twisted it to suit your agenda, it's not the same thing at all.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Who are you to tell other people how they should educate their children. If Muslims believe that the best way to educate their own children is in a school which teaches their religion then that's up to them, not you.

Someone else coming to their school and giving children pamphlets, or books or whatever is not the same thing. "Up till now my posts have been of a general nature concerning the thread content." - Pish, you twisted it to suit your agenda, it's not the same thing at all.
    Absolute twaddle. Read the thread from the beginning.The whole thing behind the issuing of pamphlets at the gates of US schools is because the teaching of religion is not allowed. Christians in the States are doing hand stands and somersaults trying to achieve the introduction of religion into the curriculum.
    Who are they(Christians) to say how children should be educated. Introducing Creationism as means of introduction did not worked. The issuing of leaflets is just another ploy.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25

Absolute twaddle. Read the thread from the beginning.The whole thing behind the issuing of pamphlets at the gates of US schools is because the teaching of religion is not allowed. Christians in the States are doing hand stands and somersaults trying to achieve the introduction of religion into the curriculum.
    Who are they(Christians) to say how children should be educated. Introducing Creationism as means of introduction did not worked. The issuing of leaflets is just another ploy.
    Is it proper for adults without permission from the school or even have a child as a student in said school to stand outside school gates and hand out literature to unaccompanied children or should there be an exclusion zone?

In answering remember if one type of literature is allowed then all types are (within decency laws )
    Not one word about Christianity, the USA, creationism, or anything else you prattled on about.

Just you twisting things to suit your agenda, again. Don't let the facts get in the way.

Read my first post in this thread , btw. I am totally opposed to anyone handing out pamphlets, about anything, outside of schools. I am also in favour of parents being able to chose a school which suits their choice, for their child.

If Jewish people want their child's school to also teach Judaism that's up to them. If Muslims want to stand outside that school handing out leaflets about Islam then they are in the wrong.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26

Is it proper for adults without permission from the school or even have a child as a student in said school to stand outside school gates and hand out literature to unaccompanied children or should there be an exclusion zone?

In answering remember if one type of literature is allowed then all types are (within decency laws )
    Not one word about Christianity, the USA, creationism, or anything else you prattled on about.

Just you twisting things to suit your agenda, again. Don't let the facts get in the way.

Read my first post in this thread , btw. I am totally opposed to anyone handing out pamphlets, about anything, outside of schools. I am also in favour of parents being able to chose a school which suits their choice, for their child.

If Jewish people want their child's school to also teach Judaism that's up to them. If Muslims want to stand outside that school handing out leaflets about Islam then they are in the wrong.
    It was Christians that were outside the school concerned.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    So what, the thread and poll is about "should adults be allowed to canvass children at the school gates?".

The thread starter indicated (when asked) that it was a particular incident which had caused him to consider the subject and bring it up. However the thread is about the generality of whether people should be allowed to canvas children is such a manner. You changed that to "religion should not be taught in schools", again. You even did the old classic and called it brainwashing.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by LaPistola View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxOverlord View Post

Any society has the responsibility to protect the youth of that society. Your reference to the 1st Amendment is somewhat correct but it is incomplete. The establishment clause is to protect you and I from State Sanctioned Religion...Iran?

There are rules to religious beliefs in this country. For example...you cannot sacrifice humans...you cant use illegal drugs...etc. If I were peddling flyers saying that in my religion sex between 10 year olds was acceptable should I be allowed to hand out flyers to Billy and Jane on their playtime?

The schools have a responsibility to protect the kids that are in their charge. We still have a legislative branch. The constitutions beauty is that it can be ammended to the necessity of the times. These are indeed different times.

The constitution is not an excuse for people to act how ever the hell they want.
    I see your point, but how is the public sidewalk in front of a school any different from a public sidewalk anywhere else? If it is allowed on a street in, say the middle of town, then why should it be restricted on any other public sidewalk or street?
    You just said it. It is directly around the school.

On a slightly different note, there are precedents for different rules in school areas. They are called school zones.

Fines are much harsher for speeders and reckless drivers. Drug selling in those areas are dealt with in a harsher manner.

The difference is that those activities are already illegal. I say so what. I can't see the harm in extending the shield to include solicitors and propagandists.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    If you look at the definition of brainwashing it would appear that I am correct.

brain·wash·ing (brān'wŏsh'ĭng, -wô'shĭng)
    n.
    1. Intensive, forcible indoctrination, usually political or religious, aimed at destroying a person's basic convictions and attitudes and replacing them with an alternative set of fixed beliefs.
    2. The application of a concentrated means of persuasion, such as an advertising campaign or repeated suggestion, in order to develop a specific belief or motivation.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Good lord, I'm glad I didn't read most of the responses in this thread earlier.

How the hell did this turn into a thread about brainwashing?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast