Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: encryption

Ya, I'm full of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Submission View Post
    encryption on usenet is pointless for defending yourself against the riaa/mpaa.

Usenet knows what you download encrypted or not. Only purposes it serves is if your ISP monitors or is forced to monitor you.
    not all usenet servers log what people download just the amount.
    This is true. Here is a quote from Usenetserver's FAQ.

" At Usenetserver.com, it is our goal to keep your personal information as private as possible. Our news servers remove the X-TRACE header and NNTP-posting-host header, thereby removing where you posted from. Other users only see from which UNS server you posted. We also do not monitor what you download. We only monitor how much you download in accordance to your chosen account. Please understand that we only see byte data and nothing else."

I will sleep better using encryption. My ISP is Roadrunner, owned by Time Warner, who coincidentally, produces movies.

It's like practicing safe sex, why take a chance?

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    you may care for this:
    Websites could be required to retain visitor info

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    We count every byte of information that flows from our server to your pc. This includes all files from binaries groups, text groups, and headers. We do not count transfer amounts for posts you make to groups. WE DO NOT HAVE VISIBILITY OF WHAT YOU DOWNLOAD, ONLY HOW MUCH YOU DOWNLOAD.
    this also taken from FAQ for Newsdemon.

so looks pretty safe, they also offer SSL now

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    Ya, I'm full of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SynsNow View Post
    you may care for this:
    Websites could be required to retain visitor info
    Yikes... This could spell he end of an era! Big Brother will be looking over our shoulder.

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    So SSL just encrypts the data so it's theoretically harder for the ISP to tell what you are downloading? Might be useful on some university campuses or other places where the "ISP" may closely monitor your connection.

How much does the encryption slow down your download though? I like to run a slow p3 533mhz and 256 ram box for usenet downloads so I wonder if it would bog the system down.

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    so is this website logging thing going to happen?

what does it all mean?

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by ersatzp View Post
    How much does the encryption slow down your download though?
    i use usenetserver encrypted SSL access and always download with full speed
    Last edited by r77; 08-24-2007 at 06:39 PM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    SSL encrypts data between my PC and the newsgroup servers, that is right? It is similar to the P2P clients like Azereus or UTOrrent which also gives encryption on the traffic.

The purpose of something like http://www.secure-tunnel.com is slightly different. Your request goes to secure tunnel servers first, they then forward the request to the newsgroup servers or any internet website (Zonealarm has introduced something on the similar lines, though different recently), there by your IP is not shown to anybody in the outside world. Add a few bucks for that feature.

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by avominex View Post
    SSL encrypts data between my PC and the newsgroup servers, that is right? It is similar to the P2P clients like Azereus or UTOrrent which also gives encryption on the traffic.

The purpose of something like http://www.secure-tunnel.com is slightly different. Your request goes to secure tunnel servers first, they then forward the request to the newsgroup servers or any internet website (Zonealarm has introduced something on the similar lines, though different recently), there by your IP is not shown to anybody in the outside world. Add a few bucks for that feature.

i would NOT reccomend secure-tunnel. i signed up with them; used the vpn tunnel; and canceled my account 3 days later. i found www.findnot.com

muuuuch better

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    DooMeD68's Avatar Domain Of Sutekh
    usenet just log the amount of bytes you download - not the particular files you download ! if ISP in the future DO monitor our habit on what we download then that will be a different matter !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast