Thread: Web Hosting

Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    I'm looking to start up a new site soon as I'll be going to college soon and it will give me something to do other than party all the time. Do you guys know of any good web hosts out there that have a decent amount of space and bandwidth for a reasonable price a month?

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    SaveFerris's Avatar ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
    I got 200GB webspace and 2TB bandwidth (per month) for twenty dollars (about twelve quid) per annum from Dreamhost. The deal was actually one hundred and twenty dollars, but using a ninety-nine dollar off voucher it was made a lot cheaper.

They're a fucking awesome host and the only thing I don't like is that you can only register .com, .net, .org and .info domains. If you Google around you can find some coupons for money off and instructions on how to use them, good luck.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Man that is insanely cheap...I wouldn't need that much space / bandwidth for starting a new site but for only 20 bucks a month it'd be a great idea because if the site got big I wouldn't have to change servers. Thanks a lot man.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Anti-Trader Inc. BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by unbri View Post
    Man that is insanely cheap...I wouldn't need that much space / bandwidth for starting a new site but for only 20 bucks a month it'd be a great idea because if the site got big I wouldn't have to change servers. Thanks a lot man.
    Its 20$ per year, not month.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Yep, Anions is right, 20 dollars for the year. Best. Webhost. Evar.

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    Fibo's Avatar - Keep Walking - BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    I didnt wanna start a new thread, because its kinda the same question:

What if I wanted to skip all that stuff and lets say build a site without have to go though all the web sites that register it for you. What then?

I wanna register a site but I dont want it to be under some other site, why do I have to pay them. Who do they pay?

Or is that just how it goes? What kind of right do I get to the name I registering?

Thanx for the help.
    Its been awhile but I'm back... well sort of.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    You own the domain, you just do it through that registrar. If you wanted to do it without a company you would have to make yourself a registrar... Which I don't think us puny humans can do.

Don't forget you'll still need a server to host it on anyway. When you pay for web hosting as a package most of the cost goes to the server running your website as opposed to the domain name. The domain name (example: "http://example.com") is usually a few quid per year, they're that cheap.