Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dumb Ass Question About Copyright

OK - you are at home with your stereo, you have a tuner ( radio receiver ) you hear a track you like and so you record it. What is the difference between that and downloading a track from the net ?

Both ways you end up with a music track for your own use that you didn't necessarily buy.

I am obviously missing the point somewhere

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    Originally posted by velcrom@28 June 2003 - 14:07
    OK - you are at home with your stereo, you have a tuner ( radio receiver ) you hear a track you like and so you record it. What is the difference between that and downloading a track from the net ?

Both ways you end up with a music track for your own use that you didn't necessarily buy.

I am obviously missing the point somewhere
    No difference at all.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    There is no difference at all! The music/film industry has always blamed technology for their financial problems ( remember when VCR got really popular? ANd what abut CD-R burners ?), instead of looking for the real reason: they're trying to sell crap... And expensive crap!

Erm, there's actually one difference: with a little luck, you'll get good files, not the kind of " quality " we had when using tapes!

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    this is true. the entertainment industry HATED the fact that people had recordable cassette decks and VCRs, but as years passed it became not as big of a deal. they're upset about mp3s and mpeg/divx piracy now because the quality is better. and back in the age of cassettes there was the quality degradation factor-- if one person copied a tape for someone, and that next person made a copy for someone else, and so on... the quality of the nth generation cassette would be utter crap.

but with digital file trading there IS no nth generation copy. every copy is the same as the original file, so every file is a 1st generation copy.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    JPaul's right - There's absolutely no difference at all.

BTW has anyone else noticed that the piracy issue has only been arisen while CDs & their writers have become cheaper? It took me a while to figure out that this s**t was happening for the C64, Spectrum et al games and all that by copying the cassettes.

But I bet we don't hear about that, do we?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Well actually, I do see one major difference.
    With p2p you are able to make that file available to millions of other users with zero effort on your part.
    I think that's what has 'em spooked.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    So if Kazaa was a radio station then would downloading the files it "played" be illegal ?

Could p2p "radio" be a possibility ?

In other words you log on, you request a track and whilst it is playing you download it - except that the "radio" element is not a station broadcasting one signal but individual users broadcasting to each other.........

So instead of download and play it is the other way round play and download

dunno - mad idea - just wanted to see what people thought

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Yes its possible.

ES5 are doing something similar with movie streaming.

Its still illegal though, most places in the world...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    That is an interresting possibilty.
    If I remember correctly, the guys from ES5 are considering doing it with movies... But I bet it would require hardware and bandwidth unavailable to us common internet users!
    Plus, the copyright issue wouldn't be solved since by downloading, you wouldn't pay anything.

Edit: RF was faster! Do you people have extra arms surgically implanted when turned into a mod or what?

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    movie studios and record companies collect royalties from radio/television stations that play their stuff, so they'd want prolly more money than filesharing networks are willing (or able) to pay.

internet radio is still flying a bit too low under the radar to get into any trouble yet for not paying royalties to record labels, but it will prolly become a serious dispute eventually.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast