Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: XP Black Upgrade...is it worth it?

  1. #1
    threelions00's Avatar on a shirt... BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    838

    Question Mark

    Hi, I am currently using XP Home Edition. Would it be worth upgrading to XP Black? I have seen a few versions about but I am still dubious about it. For example, can I just reinstall the operating system without losing everything etc?

    And does it have any special system requirements? Currently, I have 512mb RAM and a P4 3.2GHz.

    Any advice would be well received, thanks.

    3lions.

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Delta B.C. Canada
    Posts
    10,816
    Use XP Indego instead its more up to date and do a fresh install after backing up your files as you would loose everything . I'd upgrade the memory to 1gb it's cheap now .

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    threelions00's Avatar on a shirt... BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    838
    ok, thanks peat, I will wait until Sept now as I will have a laptop to back things up to...the other pc I have here only has a 12GB hardrive so no hope will saving stuff on that one. I will look into some more RAM also...thanks again.

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Delta B.C. Canada
    Posts
    10,816
    Your welcome , only way I'd try a other O/S is if I can back up my pics and important files
    and if I had my drivers on a separate disk or a Win Home disk to fall back on . I was assuming you had a DVD -rw to back up your stuff ? I would only recommend a clean install it's the best .


    Ya a 12 gb hdd is small these days eh ? I'm guessing you have ddr ram, speed pc2100 ? Good idea to use a software program or read your mobo manual to see what you need . When your ready post back we'll get you sorted .

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    raspberry1331's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by threelions00 View Post
    Hi, I am currently using XP Home Edition. Would it be worth upgrading to XP Black? I have seen a few versions about but I am still dubious about it. For example, can I just reinstall the operating system without losing everything etc?

    And does it have any special system requirements? Currently, I have 512mb RAM and a P4 3.2GHz.

    Any advice would be well received, thanks.

    3lions.
    I don't think it worth upgrading, unless you want to play with custom themes. And while 1G indeed cannot hurt, for regular use 512M is fine. Rather buy a big (possibly external) HDD, that is also dirt cheap nowadays.

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry1331 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by threelions00 View Post
    Hi, I am currently using XP Home Edition. Would it be worth upgrading to XP Black? I have seen a few versions about but I am still dubious about it. For example, can I just reinstall the operating system without losing everything etc?

    And does it have any special system requirements? Currently, I have 512mb RAM and a P4 3.2GHz.

    Any advice would be well received, thanks.

    3lions.
    I don't think it worth upgrading, unless you want to play with custom themes. And while 1G indeed cannot hurt, for regular use 512M is fine. Rather buy a big (possibly external) HDD, that is also dirt cheap nowadays.

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    sangos's Avatar T|-|E RE/-\PER BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    in a house..... Dum-a*s !
    Age
    27
    Posts
    319


    Well Said

    (Why Q while not adding anything )

    Xp black isnt that good ( i have it and i wish i could replace it )

    but i didnt use indego either so

    u can always upgrade to the latest xp pro Sp2 co.

    i think that will be good enough if u r not after a thing in the black version .
    Last edited by sangos; 08-13-2007 at 06:28 AM.


    change it so i dont get my A** Kicked

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    SAM's Avatar Fst philosopher BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,942
    Quote Originally Posted by sangos View Post


    Well Said

    (Why Q while not adding anything )

    Xp black isnt that good ( i have it and i wish i could replace it )

    but i didnt use indego either so

    u can always upgrade to the latest xp pro Sp2 co.

    i think that will be good enough if u r not after a thing in the black version .
    i totally agree , the only good thing about xp black is the themes .so i think it's better to just upgrade to xp s2

    For Serving Community



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •