Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warning - Client stats USELESS

mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Hello everyone,

I thought occurred to me this morning that the client statistics of uploads and downloads could probably be changed quite easily. I took a few minutes, and sure enough I was right! I completely faked my upload and download statistics shown in utorrent.

This has serious implications for users who use client stats as criteria for giveaways. Most of you probably assume that client stats are infallible proof of a good user, but that isn't the case. Take a look at the screen below...

It is quite probable that someone has done this before, and will again. Take care of your invites folks and give them to people you trust

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    JA's Avatar //Me<3You!? BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Interesting.

Too bad i don't do many giveaway's anymore .
    eee

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    redMonster's Avatar Flying Without Wings BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Agreed that you can change the down and up stats, but is it possible to do the same with the other ones like Total Running Time, No. of connections, etc? If there is not a uniform balance between running time and the up/down stats, then anyone can make out whether the stats are real or fake.
    Click here if you want to join TTC

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    bblogs's Avatar Damn Straight. BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    With the time you could do it in photoshop anyway, and make it impossible to tell the difference I'm sure.

There's never any guarantee with images, but I guess it's still a pretty serious problem you've pointed out the

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by redMonster View Post
    Agreed that you can change the down and up stats, but is it possible to do the same with the other ones like Total Running Time, No. of connections, etc? If there is not a uniform balance between running time and the up/down stats, then anyone can make out whether the stats are real or fake.
    I've found how to change the running time, it's just a matter of time until I find all the settings

Quote Originally Posted by bblogs View Post
    With the time you could do it in photoshop anyway, and make it impossible to tell the difference I'm sure.

There's never any guarantee with images, but I guess it's still a pretty serious problem you've pointed out the
    you're probably right about photoshop

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I thought occurred to me this morning that the client statistics of uploads and downloads could probably be changed quite easily. I took a few minutes, and sure enough I was right! I completely faked my upload and download statistics shown in utorrent.

This has serious implications for users who use client stats as criteria for giveaways. Most of you probably assume that client stats are infallible proof of a good user, but that isn't the case. Take a look at the screen below...

It is quite probable that someone has done this before, and will again. Take care of your invites folks and give them to people you trust
    It's easy as 1,2,3.

Give me any tracker screenshot and whatever stats you want it reflect. I can Photoshop it in moments where no one can tell.

yo

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    There's never been any question that required screenshots can be faked, especially as people obfuscate their usernames on tracker screens this can be done easily. Anyone who can operate a browser and a text editor is able to do that, you don't even need an image editor.

I'm not worried about those possibilities though because if I think that someone might falsify his credentials, one might just stop giving away invites altogether. After all, anyone can be a cheater and have arrived at some ratios/stats in a dishonest way.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    ok, but the situation is:
    real faker of course can fake his
    Client stats perfectly. this is like a war:
    one side: faker (leech, fake, ...... this kind of ppl just hurt P2P, but the number of them are small)
    the other side: core sharer (great and nice ppl here, seed 24*7, always do their best)
    third part: the biggest part--- normal ppl. in fact, they just dunno kind of fake or something like that. just simple dl and up.

so, the post like this(and others about fake) are really useless!
    you just bring the normal ppl(third part) into fake.
    ok, now, everybody knows he can fake his stats.
    and acturally, you are helping fakers group.

keep this kind of shit in your own heart, or
    you just bring evil to innocent ppl.

Last edited by SweetT; 08-08-2007 at 08:10 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetT;2189233[B
    ...you just bring evil to innocent ppl.
    [/B]
    a lil extreme, don't you think?

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    aside from changing them people can always rip them off the net or whatever there are a million screen shots out there, which is why I always feel it's better to ask people to pm user names at trackers to you so you can have a look for yourself though even that can be a trick sometimes you just have to take things on faith

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast