Thread: How Hot Should My Cpu Be?

Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    ive got an amd k6.2 500. running winme, and had emule on all night, just restarted and checked in bios and it was about 49 degrees, is this ok, or running a bit hot???
    also do you think it would do much harm to clock it up to 550??? or is it not worth it?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    well my cpu runs at above 50 and sometimes even reaches the high 60s but then again I have an ABIT IC7 motherboard and they tend to read high... I dont know but as long as your system is stable and you dont see any smoke it should be fine j/k

I believe its good at the low 40s and 49 wont kill your system if its your FULL LOAD temp, if its your idle temp then you are in the same position my cpu is at... fried.

I dont know really if thats too hot for you chip but nothing has happenned to my p4 2.4 c

good luck maybe just get better cooling if you are really conserned, the air flow on the case my help too.

I have been told this myself so its not all nonsense

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    the acceptable temperature ranges are different, for different CPU models. but a good rule of thumb is that if your CPU is less than 70 degrees celsius, you're in no danger. if it's less than 50 degrees, you're doing really well.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Luca_Snipes's Avatar Poster
    both intel and AMD have web pages that say what the max temp should be for their processors, the nice people that made Motherboard Monitor have a page that gives links:
    http://mbm.livewiredev.com/cputemp.html

Also - I personly don't like seeing CPU's above 60C, and when idle they should be in high 20's - mid 40's (depending on case temp, and air flow etc)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    The best way to find the temps of your system with out the mess is a simple little prog called motherboard monitor. It is easy to use and to adjust the settings are very easy. watch you system through this and if the temps are in the green on the dashboard then you are good my friend. If temps start to stay in the red then i highly recommend that you get more fans if possible or just upgrade the fans to something better!!!!

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by deeds4life@2 July 2003 - 03:21
    The best way to find the temps of your system with out the mess is a simple little prog called motherboard monitor. It is easy to use and to adjust the settings are very easy. watch you system through this and if the temps are in the green on the dashboard then you are good my friend. If temps start to stay in the red then i highly recommend that you get more fans if possible or just upgrade the fans to something better!!!!

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
    i'm not too sure how much weight i'd put behind the accuracy of motherboard monitor.
    for some people it seems to be ok, but for my board (Asus A7N8X-D) it seems to be wildly inaccurate.
    for example, the temperature reported in mbm for my cpu is normally between 38 and 42 degrees celsius, however, in the bios, the temperature reported is between 46 and 50 degrees celsius.
    this is a rather large spread and i'm more inclined to believe the board thermometer than mbm.

don't want to scare anyone off, it's a very handy tool, just don't take the word of mbm to be the absolute truth

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    I'd have to agree with that. A 1527mgh processor is reported as 1471 or something while all other diagnostics see it correctly. A lot of the PCI info was off, incomplete, or just nonsense. Ram was reported ok size wise but not type or timing. lot's of other little bugs.