Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows-illeterate Questions

Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    1) some of my harddrives r full...... a comic ballon keeps popping up saying my harddrive is full...... i no this, and dont give a ****........ is there neway 2 keep this from happening?????

2)ive got my start menu bar on the left, and told it 2 auto disapear (cause it takes up 1/4 of the screen), however, if i wanna look @ it, and move my cursor 2 the left it doesnt just pop-up (if i have a program maximized) like in older windows versions....... is there neway 2 make this happen (without having 2 press the windows button)

3)when i try 2 shutdown my comp, it restarts...... dunno y....... didnt have this with ne other OS......... i tried turnin the APM on, but this didnt help........ i just pres the shutdown button, and it does the same as the restart button.......

these problems prolly have obvious answers 2 them, but i REALLY dont no them......... newayz....... thnx 4 the help.........
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Originally posted by Storm@28 June 2003 - 19:09
    i just pres the shutdown button, and it does the same as the restart button.......
    heres a dumb question are you pushing the button on the front of your computer or are you shuting down from the start button

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by bdh1+28 June 2003 - 19:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bdh1 @ 28 June 2003 - 19:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Storm@28 June 2003 - 19:09
    i just pres the shutdown button, and it does the same as the restart button.......
    heres a dumb question are you pushing the button on the front of your computer or are you shuting down from the start button [/b][/quote]
    from the start menu........... but it just doesnt shutdown........ it reboots........

(pressing the button on ur comp is bad 4 ur comp (rite???))

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Its not nearly as bad as it used to be. FAT32 formated HD&#39;s had a tendancy to lose data when you did that, but i don&#39;t think NTFS formated drives do. the only issues i could think you would have would be losing unsaved data and stuff like that.

On the hard drives look at Twakxp.com for an answer.

for the Taskbar issue. Right click on it, and click properties. make sure "leep taskbar on top of all other windows" is checked.

that should do it for ya.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Xelotath@28 June 2003 - 19:56
    Its not nearly as bad as it used to be. FAT32 formated HD&#39;s had a tendancy to lose data when you did that, but i don&#39;t think NTFS formated drives do. the only issues i could think you would have would be losing unsaved data and stuff like that.

On the hard drives look at Twakxp.com for an answer.

for the Taskbar issue. Right click on it, and click properties. make sure "leep taskbar on top of all other windows" is checked.

that should do it for ya.
    mine r still FAT formatted .......

and on the taskbar thingy: i want it 2 disapear while im doin my stuf, and reapear when i need it, prefferably by just moving my cursor 2 the left of the screen.....

thnx 4 the try though.......... ill look on that site............. looks like there is ALOT on there........... thnx

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    This is a usefull article on how to get rid of the low disk space warning

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article03-102

and that thing I said about it being on top of all other windows won&#39;t make it stay on top, just appear on top of them when you move the mouse over to the left.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    vampiro's Avatar Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    ) some of my harddrives r full...... a comic ballon keeps popping up saying my harddrive is full...... i no this, and dont give a ****........ is there neway 2 keep this from happening?????
    Windows XP

Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE).
    Open HKEY_CURRENT_USER&#092; Software&#092; Microsoft&#092; Windows&#092; CurrentVersion&#092; Policies&#092; Explorer.
    If it&#39;s not there, create a DWORD value and call it NoLowDiskSpaceChecks.
    Double-click on NoLowDiskSpaceChecks, and enter the value 1, and press OK.

Windows 98

If you do not want to receive this error message, and do not want to use the Disk Cleanup tool to free disk space, create a DWORD value named DisableLowDiskSpaceBroadcast in the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;System&#092;CurrentControlSet&#092;Control&#092;FileSystem

Set the data value of the DisableLowDiskSpaceBroadcast value to the appropriate value from the following table:
    Drive Letter Data Value
    -------------------------
    A 1
    B 2
    C 4
    D 8
    E 16
    F 32
    G 64
    H 128
    I 256
    J 512
    K 1024
    L 2048
    M 4096
    N 8192
    O 16384
    P 32768
    Q 65536
    R 131072
    S 262144
    T 524288
    U 1048576
    V 2097152
    W 4194304
    Y 16777216
    Z 33554432

NOTE: If you want to disable the error message for more than one drive, you can add the data values of the drives located in the table, and then set the data value of the DisableLowDiskSpaceBroadcast value using the sum of the data values that you added. For example, drive E has a value of 16 and drive G has a value of 64. These two data values added together equal 80. To disable the low disk space notification for drive E and drive G, set the data value of the DisableLowDiskSpaceBroadcast value to 80.

more info on win 98 hereMicrosoft win98 help

hope that helps

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    yup that did the trick............

dl TweakUI (its been a loooooonnnnggg time since i got free software the legit way.............. o wait........ XP is copied, so its not.......... nevamind ) tweaked a couple of other things as well.......

ne1 got an idea on the taskbar and the shutdown prob????? all i can find on the shutdown on inet is bout XP not shutting down beyond "u can safely turn ur comp off" screen......... mine doesnt even get 2 that

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    bit of a stupid answer, but are u sure u r clicking the right one, or if u have welcome screen turned off, making sure the drop down menu is shutdown.
    also have a look in ur bios, may be a prob in there somewhere/

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by Storm+28 June 2003 - 19:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Storm @ 28 June 2003 - 19:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by bdh1@28 June 2003 - 19:28
    <!--QuoteBegin-Storm
    @28 June 2003 - 19:09

heres a dumb question are you pushing the button on the front of your computer or are you shuting down from the start button
    from the start menu........... but it just doesnt shutdown........ it reboots........

(pressing the button on ur comp is bad 4 ur comp (rite???)) [/b][/quote]
    There was something in the paper (UK) a while ago whcich said that shutting down the computer when you intend to go on it later on buggers up the computer, I guess pressing the button on the tower can do the same, if it just turns the computer off instantly. When I press mine the box with the three buttons shutdown, restart and stand-by appears.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast