Thread: Hd Partitioning

Yeah, me again. I'm trying to partition my 120Gb Maxtor HD. Just tried to use Partition Commander (free of a magazine) but it only works on FAT file systems, and mine's NTFS. Can I partition through Windows XP, or do I have to go into the bios?
    Sorry if this should have been in Softwareworld.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    get partition magic, i'll pm you a link.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    try partition magic, u can get it off kazaa, its pretty much the standard and means that u won't have to wipe all your data before partitioning. If u r clean installing xp there is a built in partitioner that can handle ntfs

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Thanks guys- I've had face to face conversations that took longer to get replies!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by Rhydian66@1 July 2003 - 14:20
    Thanks guys- I've had face to face conversations that took longer to get replies!
    What a brilliant line.

I use PartitionMagic and it works really well. It also allows you to map drives, change file systems, adjust cluster sizes, merge partitions. Everything you could want.

I still use FAT32 (rather than NTFS) basically because I sometimes like to boot to DOS for some things. I think NTFS is only really usefull for the NT Kernel so I donīt see any real advantage in using it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by JPaul@1 July 2003 - 19:48
    I still use FAT32 (rather than NTFS) basically because I sometimes like to boot to DOS for some things. I think NTFS is only really usefull for the NT Kernel so I donīt see any real advantage in using it.
    NTFS is more stable during power-shorts or whatever - you're less likely to lose data if an NTFS drive gets shut down abruptly.

You can also read NTFS volumes from DOS. Try Googling for NFTSDOS.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey+1 July 2003 - 19:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 1 July 2003 - 19:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JPaul@1 July 2003 - 19:48
    NTFS is more stable during power-shorts or whatever - you&#39;re less likely to lose data if an NTFS drive gets shut down abruptly.

You can also read NTFS volumes from DOS. Try Googling for NFTSDOS. [/b][/quote]
    Thanks for the info. However itīs a weighing up the likelihood - result thing. A risk assessment if you will.

I rarely have abrupt shutdowns, for whatever reason. Frankly any data I lose will be no great loss to western culture. Unless you count my buget spreadsheet for July a masterwork

I have tried using NTFS partitions and FAT32 and Iīm just happier with the FAT32. Like I said I also like just booting to DOS without any fancy dan stuff. Just my age I suppose.

Also some things wonīt operate on NTFS. I think "Spinrite" (sp) is one of them.