Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal Detectors and Night-Vision Goggles Now Used To Catch Pirates

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    "Theaters in Canada have recently started using metal detectors and night-vision goggles to track down movie cammers. In addition, theater employees receive a $500 reward for every pirate they catch. The hunt is on!"

"Earlier this year Twentieth Century Fox came to the conclusion that Canada is the home of camcorder pirates. According to their research, over 50% off all camcorder recorded movies originate from Canada. These statistics are more fiction than fact of course, but they caused a widespread panic.

Movie theaters in Canada are now taking extreme measures to cut down this figure, even if this means less comfort for their paying customers.

Serge Corriveau, Director of the Canadian Motion Picture Distributors Association, highlighted some of the measures they’ve taken and told CBC: “Having people searching knapsacks and people going up and down the aisles once the movie’s started to see if they can spot somebody camcording.

You can see also people with night-vision goggles searching through the crowd trying to see if they can find something.” Corriveau added that metal detectors will also be used in theaters across Canada, specifically for pre-screenings.

And if this isn’t enough, CMPDA have also introduced a reward program for theater employees. Catching pirates is a lucrative business now, as they can earn upto $500 CAD if they identify a person who’s trying to record a movie on his phone or camcorder. More details can be found in the “theater employee camcorder training guide“.

The theater owners sure do all they can to please their customers. A few days ago we reported about a 19 year old girl who was arrested by the police after she recorded a 20 second clip from the movie “Transformers” that she wanted to show to her little brother.

Thanks to the night-vision goggles I guess…"

Source: TorrentFreak
    Related: Canada hit by movie preview ban and Warner: Canada Source of Film Piracy
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 08-11-2007 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Updated Links.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    LaPistola's Avatar about BT Rep: +2
    Its seems like going to the movies in Canada will be like going to the damn airport.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    I don't know about the north but in the south an Englishman is about as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Some strict measures yea///

Canada and it's "lax laws" https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-new...ghlight=Canada
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Pass the popcorn with the nite goggles . What a joke the industry can't police them selves so get a pimply faced $8.00 an hour employee to do it for you . Is to laff .

This quote got my goat !

Movie theaters in Canada are now taking extreme measures to cut down this figure, even if this means less comfort for their paying customers.
    Last edited by peat moss; 08-11-2007 at 03:27 PM.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    well i think its time for plastic camcorders then lol

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    wow, crazy stuff. If only they put that kind of thought into making the movies in the first place so they were actually worth paying to go and see.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    cyanidexxx
    Actually theres been alot of movies lately that I've payed to see. I think alot of cam copies suck anyways. I wait for a dvd realese.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by LaPistola View Post
    Its seems like going to the movies in Canada will be like going to the damn airport.
    Yeah, I actually saw this one coming..... The metal detectors at least.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by cyanidexxx View Post
    Actually theres been alot of movies lately that I've payed to see. I think alot of cam copies suck anyways. I wait for a dvd realese.
    same. this really doesn't affect me cuz I don't download cams. I just wait for the HD releases.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    I don't touch cam releases, never good. If it is a good movie then I will pay to go see it, otherwise I just wait for the dvd release. Now this would make me want to go to them less and just use the money to buy a bigger home theater system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast