Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Read E-books?

Thanks for your replies. (Illuminati, yours was especially helpful.) Because I have access to a terrific (and free) public library, I doubt that I will be reading many e-books, at least not until the technology makes it a bit more user-friendly. Reading and being able to store many books on my PDA may be good, though, for times when portability is a factor.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    iamtheoneandonlyone's Avatar Andromeda Ascendant
    Why read it?

Well it beats buying books at the store.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    because when i'm reading my pda, it looks like i'm doing something important so no one bothers me

4. Lounge   -   #14
    jiro
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Sushi
    I read eBooks because I'm a cheap bastard! Why pay $30.00 for the new Harry Potter novel when you can download it for free. Plus, I'm a PDA freak; when I travel with a PDA, I can bring thousands of books instead of one or two paperbacks. Don't get me wrong, I love turning a real page, but I can't afford to buy all the books I want to read.

I would like to read e-books because i can't get most of them in the original language (of course the cost reduction is also relevant ). But i don't really have time to search the net for links where i can download them for free. Would you mind to tell me where i can find some of the Harry Potter-type? Thanks

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Well, Torrent sites has eBooks sometimes.
    So does eMule, Soulseek and I guess a lot of
    p2p apps has eBooks. Just fire up your favorite and
    search with the Title or word eBook.

I dont think you will find Pothead books on http thought. Atleast not easily.
    and to link those sites in here could most likely get our Admins in trouble too.
    Spoiler: Show

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by jiro
    I would like to read e-books because i can't get most of them in the original language (of course the cost reduction is also relevant ). But i don't really have time to search the net for links where i can download them for free. Would you mind to tell me where i can find some of the Harry Potter-type? Thanks
    Well, I use a P2P software called eMule to get my reading fix. Kazaa has lots of sources but I haven't use kazaa-lite in a couple of years now. I only use Torrents sites when the book(s) are still new and hot off the press. You can easily find Harry Potter on eMule in many formats including: PDF, MS-Word, txt, MS-Reader (.lit), Palm Reader, and Mobipocket. Keep in mind there is no "official" Harry Potter ebooks. Some people are just nice enough to scan the book with a scanner so cheap bastards like me can read them without paying a buck. Most of the ebooks are small (usually less than a MB) so downloading books is very quick. Every now and then a torrent site will offer a full CD or DVD full of popular ebooks. One CD alone is enough to keep me reading for a couple of years. Good luck hunting.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    great. I just wasted all this time installing adobe reader for palm OS and it's not supported. I have a Visor Deluxe and I can't update the OS to the version that will support adobe acrobat. now I'm upset.

any other ebook software I can DL for my palm?
    Last edited by backlash; 12-01-2004 at 11:11 PM.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Is Adobe the only software you can view eBooks on?

Wouldn't mind checking out alternatives.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    it's not...of the few they have listed on palmone's site (used to be handspring.com) almost all of them are dead.

http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/docreaders-review.html

this site I came across with a quick google search just gives a bunch of readers, but these don't say what OS they support or if they support pdf transfers easily...I don't want a doc reader only, I want a pdf reader or converter.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    I just found one on Google - Fox IT PDF Reader (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php)

Looks ancient though. Is making a decent GUI hard these days or something lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast