Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Read E-books?

As an avid reader of more than 300 books per year (covering nearly all genres) I have to admit to being very curious about e-books. Are folks who read e-books primarily those who do not have access to a good library? Do you read them on a desktop computer, notebook computer, or PDA? Is it convenient with current reading programs to save your place? Do you miss the feel of having a book in your hands and turning pages? How difficult is it to get the books you want?

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Originally posted by Lindca@29 June 2003 - 18:17
    As an avid reader of more than 300 books per year (covering nearly all genres) I have to admit to being very curious about e-books. Are folks who read e-books primarily those who do not have access to a good library? Do you read them on a desktop computer, notebook computer, or PDA? Is it convenient with current reading programs to save your place? Do you miss the feel of having a book in your hands and turning pages? How difficult is it to get the books you want?
    I read eBooks because I'm a cheap bastard! Why pay $30.00 for the new Harry Potter novel when you can download it for free. Plus, I'm a PDA freak; when I travel with a PDA, I can bring thousands of books instead of one or two paperbacks. Don't get me wrong, I love turning a real page, but I can't afford to buy all the books I want to read.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Good to see another who still reads books - You don't see as many as they used to in previous years. But as one who regularly gets e-books nowadays, I can help you.
    • Not everyone has good access to a library, but that isn't always the case - The town which I live in actually has a network of libraries' stocks listed in one database, so it is easy to find a stored book. That IMO isn't the problem - While the town libraries store a lot of books, they don't have as wide a selection as I'd love to see and I rarely see books released recently. Using P2P networks to find e-books, I can find practically any popular and/or book I want to (especially guidance books about software, which in the UK kinda take a fancy to being around £15 on average
    • I personally read mine on a desktop, the same one which I use to download them in the first place. But I like the fact that practically any computer I go to can read them.
    • Most e-books use an e-book reader known as Adobe Acrobat Reader, a free piece of software designed to read PDF files (which most e-books are in the form of). Unfortunately, I've yet to see the ability to mark a place where I've left off I'd suggest it to Adobe myself, but considering that I'm using the commercial Writer version of Acrobat, I'm not going to consult them about it any time soon Until then, Acrobat Reader conveniently tells you the page number at the bottom of the screen; if you had somewhere to put it, you could mark the page number on a piece of paper nearby and use that. For now, I see that as the best way to keep track of your e-reading
    • I personally miss the feel of reading paper books over e-books, but sometimes it's a matter of what you want and what isn't important to you. I want to be able to read literature which with my current income I cannot afford. While I'd want to be able to have the feel of a book when reading it, it isn't important to me compared to actually having the book in the first place. Hence why I read e-books.
      In truth, the software has excelled the hardware concerning e-reading. However, as technology shapes to be more suitable for it (I think I remember seeing a digital reader in the shape of a multi-page book as a concept somewhere a few months back ), you'll see it'll be easier to read them when out & about in a few years.
    • Depends on what you mean - With the rise of Amazon.com and other companies, availability of specific books is easy - It's the price that limits me If you mean e-books, you can get them anywhere - The more popular ones can be found in the P2P networks. You're right now on the forums to one of the most popular P2P programs to date - Just go to doa2.host.sk and download Kazaa Lite, then search for any recent book you want and chances are that you'll find it. Of course, legal concerns are a problem but whether they're there or not, P2P remains the easiest way to get electronic versions of popular books.

Hope that answers a few questions

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by Darth Sushi+29 June 2003 - 22:01--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Darth Sushi @ 29 June 2003 - 22:01)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lindca@29 June 2003 - 18:17
    As an avid reader of more than 300 books per year (covering nearly all genres) I have to admit to being very curious about e-books.&nbsp; Are folks who read e-books primarily those who do not have access to a good library?&nbsp; Do you read them on a desktop computer, notebook computer, or PDA?&nbsp; Is it convenient with current reading programs to save your place?&nbsp; Do you miss the feel of having a book in your hands and turning pages?&nbsp; How difficult is it to get the books you want?
    I read eBooks because I&#39;m a cheap bastard&#33; Why pay &#036;30.00 for the new Harry Potter novel when you can download it for free. Plus, I&#39;m a PDA freak; when I travel with a PDA, I can bring thousands of books instead of one or two paperbacks. Don&#39;t get me wrong, I love turning a real page, but I can&#39;t afford to buy all the books I want to read. [/b][/quote]
    I totally agree with this post. I only read e-books on my PDA as I don&#39;t like doing it on a computer screen. I carry my PDA everywhere and it means I have a small book collection in my inside pocket.

The only thing I can add is that - yes it does keep your page. The software I use is CSpotRun (free) and it has loads of functions, including font sizes, autoscroll etc.

Frankly I love the e-books on my PDA and read them on a daily basis.

I also love real books, however I mostly get these as gifts now. I can&#39;t remember the last book I bought. However the last one I was given was a leather bound, autographed copy of Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Lord of the KLF
    well i only recently discovered the joys of ebooks when i got my new mobile phone (Nokia 7650) which runs the symbian OS therefore making it possible to run my own apps on it, now i love to just sit there and read books on my phone in my spare time when im out and about like waiting for my bus or something instead of just playing snake all the time

edit: grammar

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Whats a PDA?

7. Lounge   -   #7
    I read ebooks for 2 main reasons:

1) I can&#39;t find any good Chinese fighting novels in the north east (England).
    2) Books are expensive and sometimes difficult to find in shops.

I don&#39;t own a laptop or PDA (whatever that is).

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Lord of the KLF
    A PDA or Personal Data Assistant is a handheld computer eg the Sony Clie

9. Lounge   -   #9
    The only things that I read that are close to an e-book is an e-comic. I read lots of comics on my PC, usually the hard ones that you can&#39;t find in stores (ex. Uncanny X-Men Vol1 Issue1). I don&#39;t have a PDA, so reading e-books on my PC is the only way I can read books. But mainly, I buy the books that are good. I have a copy of all the Harry Potter books so far, and I also have The LOTR series, including The Hobbit. I find no point in buying a book that I won&#39;t read at all, or that it&#39;s a really bad book.

I read eBooks because I&#39;m a cheap bastard&#33; Why pay &#036;30.00 for the new Harry Potter novel when you can download it for free. Plus, I&#39;m a PDA freak; when I travel with a PDA, I can bring thousands of books instead of one or two paperbacks. Don&#39;t get me wrong, I love turning a real page, but I can&#39;t afford to buy all the books I want to read.
    If your a cheap bastard, then why do you have a PDA? And I agree with you. Books are getting more expensive (well, to me that is). The money I spend on a good book can buy two days of food for me.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by slammy_dunken@30 June 2003 - 20:48

The money I spend on a good book can buy two days of food for me.
    If that&#39;s a hardback book you must be a greedy fat bar steward.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast