Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xp Security

Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    i thought the normal XP security would cut it, but somehow my brother was able 2 change his account from "user with restricted access" 2 an administrator account........

how is this possible???? and how do i make it so he can under no circumstances get beyond the restrictions i gave him (he doesnt no all that much bout computers, so it shouldnt be that hard.........
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    are you sure he didn't obtain your password??
    <insert signature here>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    pretty sure.......... no way he coulda guessed that........ its not even near obvious............

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    You can do whatever you want with the accounts if you have a Windows 2000 cd handy...I forgot exactly what you need to do, been forever since i tried it.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    You can try hiding the control panel and other services with Tweak UI.
    You can also password tweak UI so he can&#39;t change that at least.
    If he&#39;s smarter than you think, he may be still be able to call it from a run command though.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    there are loads of ways to do this

shatter attack and the win 2000 boot cd trick spring to mind but i bet he just changed his status when you left yourself logged in

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    whats tweak UI????? and hes not dumb........... hes just average wit computers......... and he can definetly not hack it........... isnt there some known loophole in winXP????

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Tweak UI

Google> kick me to fosi < look for Pirates Cove.

scroll down to the warez section and click on links 2,3,or 4. give it a minute to redirect. If it won&#39;t download, relax your firewall for a second.

When you open tweak ui , there&#39;s a file included that you copy and paste into the windows folder. Not in the program file or system 32 like most, just in windows itself. Close Tweak UI and reopen it and it&#39;s registered. There&#39;s a bunch of tweaks and changes you can make and it&#39;ll hide sensitive controls and menus with passwording.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I wonder if this would help you... It lets you password potect your control panel...
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    H2S04
    Sorry only 2 ways this happened under normal circumstances, I said Normal There are work arounds that require a little more knowledge..Above

A: You left your self longed in with no screensaver password enabling your brother to escalate his account, or removed his old and made a new.

B: You have no Administrator Password and he logged in under that or in Safe mode, again with no password its wide open.

Tweak UI is avaible from MS, Under XP Power Toys.

You should just grab him by the head and smack just a little, and disable simple fire sharing so you can asign individual folder rights to you and you only.

Just My 2 Cents Though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast