Your Ad Here Your Ad Here

View Poll Results: Generally, "Travel is the enemy of bigotry and prejudice."

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • True

    10 71.43%
  • False

    1 7.14%
  • No difference

    2 14.29%
  • Don't know

    1 7.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: "Travel is the enemy of bigotry and prejudice."

  1. #1
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    Generally, "Travel is the enemy of bigotry and prejudice."

    True or false?

    Are you less likely to lump the majority of ordinary everyday people in with extreme examples within other cultures if you have traveled and experienced more cultures?
    I have found in my life experience of others that the less someone has traveled/experienced the more likely they are to have a negative or misconceived view of other cultures.

    Of course it's possible to have a misconceived positive view also and some people will never change their mind and purposely look for things to confirm their prejudice or lack of, ignoring anything that conflicts with their views.
    Last edited by vidcc; 08-12-2007 at 03:18 PM.

    it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

  2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    30,399
    I don't know. I have been to places where the actions of some of the inhabitants have made me slightly prejudiced against them.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

  3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,262
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    Generally, "Travel is the enemy of bigotry and prejudice."

    True or false?

    Are you less likely to lump the majority of ordinary everyday people in with extreme examples within other cultures if you have traveled and experienced more cultures?
    I have found in my life experience of others that the less someone has traveled/experienced the more likely they are to have a negative or misconceived view of other cultures.

    Of course it's possible to have a misconceived positive view also and some people will never change their mind and purposely look for things to confirm their prejudice or lack of, ignoring anything that conflicts with their views.
    I disagree with the topic statement.

    Weak-minded people tend to be bigots.

    I know right off the top that any race or people have their devils.

    As Bob said, travel may confirm a stereotype that is the reason for a prejudice.

    All rednecks don't dislike black people.

    All Muslims are not terrorists are even sympathize with them.

    All Asians are not smart and good at math.

    All Jews are not great lawyers and have shitloads of money.

    All brats are not pompous prim and proper tightwads.

    All blacks are not criminal minded.

    Of course some/many of all of the above....are.

  4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    I disagree with the topic statement.

    Weak-minded people tend to be bigots.
    bigots tend to be misinformed, this may well be due to weak mindedness believing what they are told.

    Therefore would experience counter this?

    If they were to experience the world instead of judging it on the word of others would they perhaps find out that (see below)
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

    All rednecks don't dislike black people.

    All Muslims are not terrorists are even sympathize with them.

    All Asians are not smart and good at math.

    All Jews are not great lawyers and have shitloads of money.

    All brats are not pompous prim and proper tightwads.

    All blacks are not criminal minded.

    Of course some/many of all of the above....are.
    I think bigoted people are unlikely to change their minds unless they see for themselves, hence travel is the enemy of bigotry.


    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    I know right off the top that any race or people have their devils.

    As Bob said, travel may confirm a stereotype that is the reason for a prejudice.
    I kind of pointed to that in my last sentence.

    it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

  5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,262
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    bigots tend to be misinformed, this may well be due to weak mindedness believing what they are told.

    Therefore would experience counter this?

    If they were to experience the world instead of judging it on the word of others would they perhaps find out that (see below)
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

    All rednecks don't dislike black people.

    All Muslims are not terrorists are even sympathize with them.

    All Asians are not smart and good at math.

    All Jews are not great lawyers and have shitloads of money.

    All brats are not pompous prim and proper tightwads.

    All blacks are not criminal minded.

    Of course some/many of all of the above....are.
    I think bigoted people are unlikely to change their minds unless they see for themselves, hence travel is the enemy of bigotry.


    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    I know right off the top that any race or people have their devils.

    As Bob said, travel may confirm a stereotype that is the reason for a prejudice.
    I kind of pointed to that in my last sentence.
    Mmk, then as you pointed out as well.

    However, that is still part of my answer.

    Travel can confirm or debunk prejudice so my answer is one you don't have available.

    Maybe

    Drop a racist redneck in a drug ridden part of DC or Baltimore and he probably won't change his position. He may meet a person that doesn't fit the stereotype of the area and it change his mind.

    What I find fascination about the human condition are the white supremacists that believe if all blacks were eliminated that everything will be hunky dory.

    As if there aren't whites that would do other whites in.

    The same goes for the NOI as a counter.

    Both do good for self empowerment but they have a evil front.

    My slogan, "It's easier to unite when you unite for or against something".

    It is great motivation to do wonderful and despicable things as a group.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 08-16-2007 at 12:21 PM.

  6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    I've always wanted to ship a hardcore Baptist to China and make him live in a Buddhist monastery. Maybe Jerry Falwell.

  7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma271828 View Post
    I've always wanted to ship a hardcore Baptist to China and make him live in a Buddhist monastery. Maybe Jerry Falwell.
    Are you some kind of re-animator then?

    it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

  8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Age
    60
    Posts
    8,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma271828 View Post
    I've always wanted to ship a hardcore Baptist.
    Sorted
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum


  9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma271828 View Post
    I've always wanted to ship a hardcore Baptist.
    Sorted
    Lol not following..

  10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma271828 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post

    Sorted
    Lol not following..
    Just look for the trail of crumbs...
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •