Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Owens Corning Basement Finishing System

  1. #1
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,262
    Has anyone had any experience with it or know anyone that has?

    I have an unfinished basement and would like an economical way to put this task to bed.

    I like how you can just take a wall off if you need to get behind it.

    The only thing I don't like is that the wall is really panels and isn't smooth but it seems like an ok trade off.

    I found some clips on Bob Vila.com.

    It would seem the labor would be less but maybe they charge more for material.

    I've had water in my basement before so this seems great.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 08-13-2007 at 02:09 AM.

  2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    9,810
    I'm not familiar with the system, but personally I'd be worried by the phrase "helps reduce dampness and mold."

  3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    I can't say I have any experience of this particular product but for a basement it seems a good idea given the extra water risks. Have you sealed the backing walls and floors? even so for future barrier treatments removable panels are certainly a lot less work than having to pull plaster or sheet rock down.

    @lynx.

    It is a finishing system not a waterproof barrier or foundation. It's not designed to be like a swimming pool liner. It's obviously different but try to think of it as mold resistant paint or wallpaper size/paste. Certain wallpapers or paints wouldn't last 5 mins. in a bathroom so one would use appropriate types for that moist environment. With a basement the moisture comes from outside instead of inside and if the external barrier loses it's integrity slightly over time this system should be able to cope with limited damage.
    Last edited by vidcc; 08-13-2007 at 12:50 AM.

    it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

  4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,262
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    I'm not familiar with the system, but personally I'd be worried by the phrase "helps reduce dampness and mold."
    Well I know the drywall, if it gets on the bottom for instance, the wetness will creep up and can start to harbor mold.

    From what I understand about this is that it is not made out of anything organic so mold has no place to harbor.

    Look at Bob Vila clips.

    Mind you, I don't like just listening to the words of the maker of the product and that's why I'm looking some independent opinions.

    I've had water in my basement when the power went out for a long time and I had no back-up for my sump pump.

    I plan on getting generator for that but having these type of special walls for basement would be a plus.

    Hell, I can enclose my water heater and furnace with this stuff, it would seem.

  5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    in your dreams
    Posts
    2,167
    I actually have this in my basement, but I didn't own the house when it was installed so I don't know how long it took to install. You can get behind the panels, but it's not as easy as you may think. You have to remove all the strips that border the panel, which usually means taking the plastic mouldings from the ceiling and floor and sides. Can be a pain b/c these are much longer than the panel you want to remove. Plus, the panels are made from fiberglass and you have to stick your fingers in through the sides and pull it out, which smushes the panel a bit and gets fiberglass on your fingers. The panels are $250 a piece (I think), so I'm not so sure it's economical.

    Maybe you can install drywall and just make access panels to the areas you need to get to.

  6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,262
    Quote Originally Posted by backlash View Post
    I actually have this in my basement, but I didn't own the house when it was installed so I don't know how long it took to install. You can get behind the panels, but it's not as easy as you may think. You have to remove all the strips that border the panel, which usually means taking the plastic mouldings from the ceiling and floor and sides. Can be a pain b/c these are much longer than the panel you want to remove. Plus, the panels are made from fiberglass and you have to stick your fingers in through the sides and pull it out, which smushes the panel a bit and gets fiberglass on your fingers. The panels are $250 a piece (I think), so I'm not so sure it's economical.

    Maybe you can install drywall and just make access panels to the areas you need to get to.
    Yeah I need to find out the cost per sq. ft since some panels will be bigger than others. Maybe a "panel" is a fixed cost and size and you just cut it up from there.

    All in all I'd rather be able to remove whole walls. I can enclose everything this way and just remove as needed.

  7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    271
    HI,My wife had them come in to give a price 28x40 basement with wiring and it was 38,000.
    This was about one year ago.
    I didn't have it done.
    I guess if they have more homes Installing it the prices will come down.
    But it does look good.

  8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,262
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.Dman View Post
    HI,My wife had them come in to give a price 28x40 basement with wiring and it was 38,000.
    This was about one year ago.
    I didn't have it done.
    I guess if they have more homes Installing it the prices will come down.
    But it does look good.


    My basement is bigger than that (not by a whole lot).

    edit: They are coming on Wed. to give me an estimate. I think I'm going to get in a fight with the estimator.

    If I get this done this year, I can get a $500 tax credit.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 08-14-2007 at 02:06 AM.

  9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    in a plane, high as fuck
    Posts
    5,637
    Research Spray foam insulation. That stuffs amazing, its a little costly but works like a charm.

  10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    24,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Research Spray foam insulation. That stuffs amazing, its a little costly but works like a charm.
    Do you consider that a finished wall?


    Why consider this?
    I don't think it looks good at all, but maybe in real life (not pics) it might look alright.
    What is it you need access to anyway?
    Most of the things you need access to are either right at your electrical panel (which can be covered nicely with some sort of cabinet/doors) and next to your furnace (which you will build a room around).
    Anything else like plumbing traps you can build small access doors to.

    IMO for running future electrical the best idea is to run a 2inch pipe (pvc or that white pipe they use for central vac.) from your panel to different places in the basement (such as the furnace room), just meaning that if you ever wanted something added they use that pipe instead of ripping down your whole ceiling to drill through floor joists...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •