Thread: Welcome Screen Freezes

My computer is freezing for almost 30 seconds everytime at the start-up where it says "welcome".

After about 30 seconds, it goes to the desktop screen but all I could see is the backround. It freezes like that for 30 seconds again and finally the desktop icons pop out.

It takes me about 2 to 3 minutes just to start my computer in fully working order

I thought they're were too much programs at the start-up so I unchecked some programs that would startup at the start-up.

But it still keeps on freezing at the "welcome" screen and after that the desktop backround screen.
    Any suggestions? Thank you!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    What anti virus do you have?

I've seen stuff like Panda lock things up like that.

And btw, It's not a HP or something, is it? And what version OS is it?
    Last edited by Snee; 08-21-2007 at 05:39 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    What anti virus do you have?

I've seen stuff like Panda lock things up like that.

And btw, It's not a HP or something, is it? And what version OS is it?
    NOD32, Its been fine before but i disabled NOD2, THEN enabled again, thats when it started doing it a few days ago.

Ive got a Sony Vaio Laptop on XP.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Right. Been years since I tried Nod32, but from what I've read, one possible explanation for what you describe is that the communications between nod32kui and nod32krn have gotten dodgy, for some reason. One needs the other, and something got buggered so the latter won't start up in time, leaving the first one in some sort of wait-state for an extended period of time, causing the slowdown you decribe.

TBH, I don't know how to fix it, though, just checked this one forum, and it seems just reinstalling the AV might not help.

Another possible explanation, assuming the Nod-thing is just coincidence, if your version of XP is an OEM, is that you have some auto-installed dodgy proprietary stuff, which is bogging everything down (might be something looking for updates, for instance). In that case, I can tell you that going through all services (run>services.msc) and double-checking so no weird stuff starts running on startup, is a good thing. Just ctrl-alt-deleting while windows is running and checking what's running might be useful as well, google anyhing you don't recognise. Running services.msc, rather than msconfig, means that you can't mess with stuff you don't wanna shut down, like Remote Procedure Call.

Those were just possibilities, though, I'm not promising any of it will help.

While you are at it, you could have a wee look to see whether all currently running services are necessary. That may free up some resources, though it most likely won't solve the current issue. Check this.

It's not uncommon for laptops with OEM-versions of XP, in particular, to have way more stuff running than what's necessary.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Hmmmmmmmmmm ok ive tried everything else, my system is clean and all my services are fone, ive completely uninstalled NOD 32, Problem is still there, the 1st bit you said seeme dmost probable, but not sure now that the problem is still there and NOD32 is unistalled

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    If it's like some AVs I've dealt with....it never really goes away.

Did you do anything else before it started happening, like add new software or hardware, run windows update, etc?

My old laptop tends to choke up if you leave any sort of usb-memory in during boot-up.

If there's nothing like that, I can't think of anything more right now.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Did you try system restore?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Did you try system restore?
    Yep, also tryed Think ill just ave to live with it, its no big deal, just annoying lol