Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Us Supreme Court

Just to bring the post slightly back to topic and through in my two cents here, I think that no, the SC does not have too much power. It must be remembered the the Court has no way to enforce it's decisions, and relies on the other two branches of Govt, the legislature and the Executive to do so. An excellent example of this was Warren's liberal Court of the 70s, where the supposed desegregation set in motion didn't actually occur until years later, and US troops were involved in bussing. Another example was when the Court deemed that capital punishment was cruel and unusual, and one justice claimed that another execution would never be seen in the US. Look how well that turned out for them.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Poster
    the one thing? the supreme court has the right to use the constitution of the United States, and with that power lay down an absolute rule of law governed by the Constitution and therefore the People so if the Institution of the supream court is pure it can never have too much power.

So the question is,
    How trustworthy are the Supreme Court Judges?

Neil

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    I don't think it's a question of trust in itself...ALL Supreme Court Judges are appointed toand indeed do, interpret the Constitution, whether they are strict or loose constructionist is a different matter. The problem therefore lies with the Constitution itself, and the passages which are not entirely clear.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Poster
    Originally posted by Wolverine@7 July 2003 - 00:58
    I don't think it's a question of trust in itself...ALL Supreme Court Judges are appointed toand indeed do, interpret the Constitution, whether they are strict or loose constructionist is a different matter. The problem therefore lies with the Constitution itself, and the passages which are not entirely clear.
    A constitution cannot be clear as we change then our rights move with us
    the constitution has to be interpretive otherwise it serves no purpose.

it just binds us.

Neil

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Well then, whats the problem? Justices interpet the constitution, and the constitution is loose enough to move with the times. The only way that a Justice cannot be trusted is if he acts unconstitutionally, and I certainly don't know of any that have. Even if they do, they can be removed for unreasonable behaviour.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Poster
    Originally posted by Wolverine@7 July 2003 - 01:17
    Well then, whats the problem? Justices interpet the constitution, and the constitution is loose enough to move with the times. The only way that a Justice cannot be trusted is if he acts unconstitutionally, and I certainly don't know of any that have. Even if they do, they can be removed for unreasonable behaviour.
    Then obviously the problem must be
    "How much do you trust your supreme court judges?"

Neil.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Then the answer would be a million percent, because if they don't do what they're intended to do they'l get removed.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Poster
    Originally posted by Wolverine@7 July 2003 - 01:38
    Then the answer would be a million percent, because if they don't do what they're intended to do they'l get removed.
    But that cant be left for you to decide
    and if they can be replaced so easily then how far do you trust the judge masters

Neil.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123