View Poll Results: Account Ttrading: Good or Bad?

Voters
396. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

106 26.77%
  • Bad

217 54.80%
  • Not sure / not bothered

73 18.43%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Account trading: Good or Bad?

sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AugustoP View Post
    ...there should be a place free of all tracker rules.
    Why is that?
    Please explain what gives FST the right to flip the bird and say 'stuff you' to sites that are offering a filesharing service, when one of FST's main purposes is to promote and encourage said service.
    agreed beside there are places like that doesn't mean FST has to be one of them.

2. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #42
    MaAiFu's Avatar Power User BT Rep: +5
    i personally think its very bad, just think if there were no account trading, only invite trading, no one would have more than one accounts (because why would u have 2 accounts when no1 account trades), then the accounts on sites would be spread out more.

the only reason people have 2 accounts on a site is to trade one of them! which is bullshit because for every person that has 2, there is one person who want one with none...

fair enough invite trading is also bad, but at least people will use the site respectably. also people will have the user name they want because every1 is only sending invites, as oppose to accounts.

so.... STOP ACCOUNT TRADING!!!

IF YOU ASK ME FST SHOULD BAN ACCOUNT TRADING ALL TOGETHER.
    Last edited by MaAiFu; 08-15-2007 at 12:11 AM.

3. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #43
    AugustoP's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Why is that?
    Please explain what gives FST the right to flip the bird and say 'stuff you' to sites that are offering a filesharing service, when one of FST's main purposes is to promote and encourage said service.
    No *rights* required in internet, just a desire to do things your way. If you feel that tracker rules are too strict (e.g. most of them don't allow invite trading and giveawys) you can run a site which doesn't enforce them.

4. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #44
    S.L.B's Avatar Cona Lover BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Altough I traded some accounts I really think that Invites are the way to go.

At this time gmail must be filled with mail accounts created just for one tracker.

one mail per tracker is not a good thing.

5. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #45
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3

6. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #46
    Alco23's Avatar Karma... BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Just to quote Znik again:

Quote Originally Posted by znik View Post
    You will be held responsible for the actions of the previous holder (cheats, bad invitees, etc)

You will also be banned if you attempt to change the email + passwd from a different country.
    You risk your rep and your invite tree by accepting accounts. From what I've seen here and and from experience, getting an account even if it's a freebie does more harm than good.

/edit: See sear's link above for prime example of receiving a "free" account.

Sharing the love

7. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #47
    Poster
    Why is that?
    I think the real question is why should you feel compelled to abide by rules on your forums you had/have no hand in creating?

I hope this isn't just yet another silly attempt to suck up to tracker staff. I still smile when I remember Skizo showing up in FTN's support channel demanding we give him an invite or he'll remove FTN's url protection here. (Now there's a threat to make them quake in their boots!)

If FST wants to continue to be unique, it should remain as it is. Also, I disagree wholeheartedly that it's in anyone's interest, other than to tracker staff, to be able to track us efficiently. We have seen gross incompetence and outright treachery from many respected trackers; I see no reason to trust them to treat our identities with care. Remember FTWR's purge several months ago? With efficient account tracking, other trackers may easily have followed their lead and blindly banned the same members.

8. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #48
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by Roark View Post
    Why is that?
    I think the real question is why should you feel compelled to abide by rules on your forums you had/have no hand in creating?
    It would be hypocritical to expect our members to follow our Board Rules while at the same time encouraging them to ignore those of other sites, particularly those that are directly related to FST's main content and purpose. There's enough irony in the fact that trackers have sharing rules regarding their exclusive content when that itself is not theirs in the first place; I don't think we need to add to that.

I hope this isn't just yet another silly attempt to suck up to tracker staff.
    Not at all.

FST has members and staff with differing views; this is good for all concerened as it helps keep a balance where those views are discussed.

I created the poll in the hope that it would become a thread where all can put their views and some may see the other point of view.

It's true that I don't agree with account trading and also that I view invites as something to be shared with personal friends (both RL and virtual ) rather than someone with x number of public posts under a fake name.

If FST wants to continue to be unique, it should remain as it is. Also, I disagree wholeheartedly that it's in anyone's interest, other than to tracker staff, to be able to track us efficiently. We have seen gross incompetence and outright treachery from many respected trackers; I see no reason to trust them to treat our identities with care. Remember FTWR's purge several months ago? With efficient account tracking, other trackers may easily have followed their lead and blindly banned the same members.
    Well we're not about to tar all trackers with the same brush and lock out ibslice, melvin, wb, DV8type, brandon, JGG et al, merely because Oink have a ridiculously touchy cheat detection script or previous rabbit staffers' tree-banning exploits.

I like the ability to offer a level of protection to our members against known cheaters and scammers. We can easily contact a dozen top trackers with information of a scammer and receive details to disable their other accounts here gives me satisfaction. Satisfaction to know that a scammer has lost his prize & some other tracker accounts and satisfaction in knowing that scammers and cheaters will think twice about shafting FST members in the first place.
    This is something we cannot achieve if we stand proud but alone outside the BT community.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

9. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #49
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Was there a final outcome on this?

Is there a discussion between FST & tracker staff taking place at all?

Will there be a review of policies when all parties have been canvassed of their views?

The sooner the majority view is acted upon, the better, imo of course.

10. BitTorrent Invite Giveaways & Trades   -   #50
    Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    i think is good where the site is full. is an opurtunity for other to use the tracker.
    in this way i can my shar acc with my friends.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast