Thread: Trouble adding a second hard drive to an old PC

Hello everyone,

so, i have this old PC im gettign rid of and im trying to add another hard drive to it, as i have before on the same PC without any troubles.

The first hard drive is a quantum fireball (it came with the PC) and the second is a Western digital that ive had forever.
    Now when i plug them both in, the bios only shows the fireball, which is set as the master.
    When i unplug the fireball, it shows the western digital, which is the slave.

What am i doing wrong?

Tanner

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    There's an alternative setting on quantum fireball drives for slaves which do not support DASP.

I have no idea what DASP means, so I don't know if the WD drive falls into that category, but there's a diagram about halfway down the page on this link:
    http://perso.orange.fr/rayp/HD/QUANT...es/fb_a_cx.htm

However, if the WD drive shows as the master (you just said it shows) when you unplug the quantum drive, then you need to alter the jumpers on the WD drive to make it the slave.
    Last edited by lynx; 08-15-2007 at 12:08 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    If you're getting rid of the PC why are you adding a second drive?

The new user would certainly thank you if you deleted the Quantum drive altogether, it's a timebomb just waiting to fail.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    If you're getting rid of the PC why are you adding a second drive?

The new user would certainly thank you if you deleted the Quantum drive altogether, it's a timebomb just waiting to fail.

Well, we all got macs, and so all of our PC parts are just piling up and im trying to get rid of it all.

Quantum drives are bad???????I had no idea, that one has been going without any problems for 8 years. Maybe its just me but the Western Digital Caviar seems slower and its louder.......but again, better than just throwing it away........

Okay, so i double checked the jumper settings, and i found out that i had the settings wrong on the wd drive, so i changed them to slave, and the quantum drive is set for master, so i booted again, and the fireball is still fixed disk 0 and the wd drive is still not found.
    Last edited by Tanner31593; 08-15-2007 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost