Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: thebox.bz - at last, a great british tv tracker

sokratis87's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    mmm...i'll try it.

pretty good....
    Last edited by sokratis87; 09-02-2007 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaits View Post
    the box doesnt have forum moderators LOL

get ur facts straight
    They have people who patrol the forums, moving threads around and removing posting rights from accounts, who hold the title "moderator." That's what I call a forum moderator. If they have no specifically designated forum moderators, separate from general site moderators or admins, then please extend my criticism to the entire website staff. If I happen to have dealt with the site owner, then the site owner is a retard.

a) so answering the same questions 10 times shows...intelligence?
    Yes, for the following reasons:

1. Newbs need education to advance beyond the leeching stage and contribute to the community.

2. Everyone needs review, including the staff.

3. Every time a newb asks a question, some joker says they should use search; but search doesn't work because all it brings up is 99 other threads in which some joker told somebody to use search. Every question deserves an answer. For the sake of the person asking, for the sake of the person answering (who learns by teaching), and for the sake of future users who might find the question and answer on search.

I should also note that "frequently asked questions" are only one type of thread that moderators remove. If you look in the Sin Bin, you'll find many threads that were removed for no good reason.

[quote]b) oh, so someones grammar, spelling errors and comment histories shows someones itelligence? ...

Yes. Every intelligent human being everywhere--except on the Internet--recognizes this as true.

I used to ignore comments that were completely without merit, but I've found that even the worst argument--if left unchallenged--can fester in the imaginations of fanboys who will imagine that they've already won the debate phase of the engagement and will proceed directly to aggressive mockery. It's best not to give any ground when criticizing anything vaguely Internet-related.

Here I've criticized egocentric forum moderator behavior, which is something most forum geeks aspire to. I've also criticized bad spelling and grammar, which is typical of forum geeks. And, since online geeks self-identify with the Internet itself, where they become kings, complaining about any fact of online life is grounds for open ridicule. So I'm expecting a lot of dumb-fucking-comments, many of which I will not have the time or energy to address.

I write this knowing I will bring a smile to the face of the one non-geek who reads it.

Buy Andrew Keen's book, The Cult of the Amateur.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    lynx's Avatar .
    You obviously don't like the site, they obviously don't like you.

So where's the problem?

Btw, you made a typo in your second thread, thicko.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    BANNED BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Unstable1 View Post
    hi

ive been a member of uknova, tvtorrents and bitmetv for a while but theres loads of british tv that still isnt available on those sites so i was really delighted when i discovered www.thebox.bz a few days ago.

unlike uknova, they allow commercially available british tv dvd/video rips, so theres a much better selection of torrents than uknova.

if you're looking for british tv, then thebox.bz gets the thumbs up from me... its only been open a couple of months and has 22,000 members and over 3000 torrents!

sign-ups are still open, but at the rate theyre growing, it wont be long until registrations are closed, so i'd sign up quick if uk tv is of interest to you.

cheers
    thanks mate ... .. i just signed up

damn .. still cant find this show http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075537/

Last edited by blackbird; 09-02-2007 at 07:37 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    You obviously don't like the site, they obviously don't like you.

So where's the problem?
    It's true that I would have never visited the site again anyway.

The problem is that the mismanagement of TheBox is only symptomatic of broader issues. I touched--very lightly--on that in my last comment, but I don't have time to go into the whole argument. I'll just say that, if people stop to examine any one instance of Internet jackholery, it may cause them to recognize the existence of the broader issues.

For example, why is it that you (like so many others) question the very thought of criticizing a website? If it's improper to criticize something that's "free," and if the majority of our cultural and intellectual capital becomes "free," then what will happen to criticism? What will happen to standards? And to what extent has this decline already happened?

I would argue that joining TheBox is not free. It may cost you your competence.

1. "BTW" is an acronym and should be written in all-caps.

2. They're called comments, not threads.

Forgetting to close one tag is a far cry from consistently misspelling words, botching grammar, making erroneous statements, and refusing to defend one's argument through any means other than force (e.g., locking threads, removing posting rights, suspending accounts, and banning IPs).

Ordinarily, I correct errors as soon as I see them. In this case, I am leaving the comment unedited so that everyone can see just how minor the typo was.

Now I need to duck out of this thread. The Internet is a huge timesink.

EDIT: Now there's a mistake. You were referring to the repeated word ("they they") in my second comment, and I thought you meant the missed tag in the third comment. Shit like that happens, especially in rant mode. The difference is between typos and fundamental errors, between mistakes that are corrected within minutes and that are not ever recognized. It's difficult to get online geeks to admit they've ever made a mistake, and the mistakes are often huge and pervasive.
    Last edited by theboxsucks; 09-02-2007 at 08:33 AM. Reason: error correction

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Speaking of a huge timesink I want the time back that it took to read that superfluous drivel that you wrote theboxsucks.

As for the site, thanks for the tip poster one all signed up

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Jaits's Avatar n00b BT Rep: +3
    lol i didnt even bother reading the whole thing
    Last edited by Jaits; 09-02-2007 at 10:23 AM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by theboxsucks View Post
    It's true that I would have never visited the site again anyway.

The problem is that the mismanagement of TheBox is only symptomatic of broader issues. I touched--very lightly--on that in my last comment, but I don't have time to go into the whole argument. I'll just say that, if people stop to examine any one instance of Internet jackholery, it may cause them to recognize the existence of the broader issues.

For example, why is it that you (like so many others) question the very thought of criticizing a website? If it's improper to criticize something that's "free," and if the majority of our cultural and intellectual capital becomes "free," then what will happen to criticism? What will happen to standards? And to what extent has this decline already happened?

I would argue that joining TheBox is not free. It may cost you your competence.

1. "BTW" is an acronym and should be written in all-caps.

2. They're called comments, not threads.

Forgetting to close one tag is a far cry from consistently misspelling words, botching grammar, making erroneous statements, and refusing to defend one's argument through any means other than force (e.g., locking threads, removing posting rights, suspending accounts, and banning IPs).

Ordinarily, I correct errors as soon as I see them. In this case, I am leaving the comment unedited so that everyone can see just how minor the typo was.

Now I need to duck out of this thread. The Internet is a huge timesink.

EDIT: Now there's a mistake. You were referring to the repeated word ("they they") in my second comment, and I thought you meant the missed tag in the third comment. Shit like that happens, especially in rant mode. The difference is between typos and fundamental errors, between mistakes that are corrected within minutes and that are not ever recognized. It's difficult to get online geeks to admit they've ever made a mistake, and the mistakes are often huge and pervasive.
    You are clearly a very arrogant person who thinks the internet (and presumably the world) should be run to your rules. It isn't, and it never will be. If you want a forum that's run like that go and start your own, I'm sure there are lots of other sad people who will join you. Mind you, since you will all be perfect I'm not sure what you will find to talk about.

Btw, btw is an acronym, but since it was at the beginning of a sentence I capitalised the first letter, that's standard grammar in case you missed it. If you are going to try to insist on perfection from everyone else you ought to find out and understand the rules yourself first.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    You are clearly a very arrogant person who thinks the internet (and presumably the world) should be run to your rules.
    My rules happen to be the basic rules of logic, which are human beings' basis for determining truth or falsehood, so I'm in a pretty good position to demand that people either follow those rules or admit they are wrong.

Btw, btw is an acronym, but since it was at the beginning of a sentence I capitalised the first letter, that's standard grammar in case you missed it. If you are going to try to insist on perfection from everyone else you ought to find out and understand the rules yourself first.
    No, that isn't standard grammar, and I didn't miss it. I doubt it's possible for you to write a single correct statement.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by theboxsucks View Post
    Good luck trying to reason with the morons they've appointed forum moderators. It's a great site, if you enjoy dealing with obvious n00bs and feeling like you're back in grade school or working minimum wage in telemarketing. In other words, if you like dealing with thick people.
    you're talking rubbish.
    Last edited by Unstable1; 09-02-2007 at 01:47 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast