Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riaa Tracking Your Ip?

Poster
    This is a bit advanced for most users but it is possible to "fake" your IP or at least spoof it by changing the MAC address that is built into your ethernet adapter.

Make sure you read it all before trying this and you should have some knowledge of using the command program in NT/XP so you can reset your IP config if anything goes wrong. It's not hard to learn, just take your time and be sure to understand the concepts. I've done this hourly, daily, it doesn't matter how often you change. If anything goes wrong, usually disabling your network adapter, reboot, enable adapter, then another reboot = DHCP should correct things.
    Backup your DNS settings, registry, and copy IPCONFIG before you start anyway!

http://www.klcconsulting.net/Change_MAC_w2k.htm
    (look at the bottom of the page for other systems)

Before we start: KLC Consulting Security Team has developed a Windows MAC Address Modifying tool, SMAC. SMAC is developed based on this research article, and it has many functionalities. SMAC allows Windows 2000, XP, and 2003 Server users to change MAC address regardless of whether manufacturers allow this option or not. URL of SMAC is http://www.klcconsulting.net/smac.
    downloads are just below this >
    " SMAC must be used for LEGAL and ETHICAL purposes ONLY. "

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Sorry, but the internet doesn't use your mac address.

Your mac (media access controller) address is only used on your local network.

Your local network uses your mac address to map the ip address to your machine, but outside that network only the ip address is used.

So changing your mac address only affects your local network, and your isp will log the new mapping of mac address to ip address. The rest of the net sees your ip address so you can still be traced just as before.

Edit: ps if you want to be anonymous, use an anonymous proxy server.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    In My case, dynamic IP, cable, the ISP IS the "lan". Change the MAC of the hardware between my computer and the DHCP server and a new IP will be assigned to that MAC, and the old one will be released. It's what you might call a semi-static IP system, three day lease. Rarely, if ever, is your IP changed.
    Unless you have a way to replace the harware the IP is assigned to, or change the MAC.

IS RIAA watching your ISP's logs?
    No, they see the IP attached to the shared file or in a wide scan. Would it make sense to see that many different IP's from the same user? I'm pretty sure that IP number is assigned to the file before it leaves your system. How much cross checking would this require? I'm assuming they must provide reasonable proof of repeat abuse before they proceed to harrass your ISP.
    Incidently, it was my ISP's suggestion that I use alternate adapters to vary my IP rather than pay a fixed fee for multiple IP's assigned to the one adapter. I've done that and I also use this method. Both work.
    I doubt massive abuse would go un-noticed indefinately but it does make life harder for those who monitor such things.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,508...=ukbb~mode=flat

MAC Address:
    ===========================================
    Short for Media Access Control address, a hardware address that uniquely identifies each node of a network. In IEEE 802 networks, the Data Link Control (DLC) layer of the OSI Reference Model is divided into two sublayers: the Logical Link Control (LLC) layer and the Media Access Control (MAC) layer. The MAC layer interfaces directly with the network media. Consequently, each different type of network media requires a different MAC layer.
    On networks that do not conform to the IEEE 802 standards but do conform to the OSI Reference Model, the node address is called the Data Link Control (DLC) address.
    The unique serial number burned into Ethernet and Token Ring adapters that identifies that network card from all others. See OUI and MAC layer.
    Media Access Control address.The physical address of a device connected to a network, expressed as a 48-bit hexadecimal number.
    Media Access Control address (also hardware or physical address). Every device on the Local Area Network has an unique MAC address. It is used to identify devices and to control access to the network using MAC protocol.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    I agree entirely.

But what I meant was that if they decide to go after you, it will be on the amount of (copyrighted) files you are sharing, at which point they will go for your isp's logs and then they've got you.

But I think they will soon realise that their current tactics are futile.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Thanks I have wonted to chang my ip all the time cos i get bannd from online games 4 being a dick but now i can cum back lol Mohahah MOhahah THanks

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    I have a Problum wen i try to host online gamed and ftp stuff and it is cos of my router is there a way i can fix it so i can host online games and ftp and still have a router?

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    lol, Did I forget to mention it doesn't change the downstream proxies? subnets and all that may be enough to keep you banned. (don't forget your IE history 2)

if they decide to go after you, it will be on the amount of (copyrighted) files you are sharing, at which point they will go for your isp's logs and then they've got you.
    Which is another good reason not to let them put 255.255.255.0 and 255.255.255.0 together to = YOU (just examples)

I realize they have ways but, it beats "beating" each other about what to share- what not to share- when to share- when not.....

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by Night Ass@1 July 2003 - 03:59
    I have a Problum wen i try to host online gamed and ftp stuff and it is cos of my router is there a way i can fix it so i can host online games and ftp and still have a router?
    Yes, post it in the hardware forum and one of the router experts should be able to help you.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    FvKin GeniuS :D
    so wha are the advantages to this Prog
    Board rule: max 500x150 Pixels (w x h)

https://filesharingtalk.com/sigs/albegaleeeee.jpg

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    A Massive, semi useless RIAA data base if enough people use it often enough.
    At the least, a major inconvenience for them. Can you imagine an ISP having to message over half of their IP range/customer accounts each day?

ISP- "You want us to do WHAT? For how much money?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast