Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Buddhist Nation instead of a Christian Nation

thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lettuce View Post
    It would be extremely hard to fathom. The US, in general, is very materialistic, something that doesn't really 'sit well' within the Buddhist doctrine.

There would be no war machine of course, Buddhism being a pacifist religion. Probably more harmony in personal ordeals, but the US would have little world power, as most of it was gained because of military strength and money.
    Who made the gas attack on the Tokyo subway. I believe that was a Buddhist terrorist group. No person can live by the bible of their religion. Human nature will let them down if they try.
    Buddha said..don't believe everything you read in books, especially buddhist ones...

And there is a place for material aspects in Buddhism... we have to do something with our time here

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Here's another couple of real words for you: condescending, prick.
    I've a nodding familiarity with those words, I think.

If America was a Buddhist nation, I doubt anyone would feel compelled to ask the question you have asked.

What if, say, Russia was a Buddhist nation?

What if the mid-east was predominately Buddhist?

There are a brazillion ways to achieve your end, Enigma, but somehow you see only one.

One might as well ask why stupid people are allowed access to the internet.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    I've a nodding familiarity with those words, I think.

If America was a Buddhist nation, I doubt anyone would feel compelled to ask the question you have asked.

What if, say, Russia was a Buddhist nation?

What if the mid-east was predominately Buddhist?

There are a brazillion ways to achieve your end, Enigma, but somehow you see only one.

One might as well ask why stupid people are allowed access to the internet.

I 2nd that. And everything Biggles has said.
    Last edited by MaxOverlord; 08-23-2007 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Because I can.
    You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing..... Descartes

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma271828 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    What if America was truly Christian (turn the other cheek, if a man asks for your coat give him your shirt also, judge not lest you be judged)?
    Nice try, but it is virtually impossible to act like Jesus as a Christian because the Christian theology specifically states that no one can be like him! How can you act enlightened, when you cannot be enlightened. In a Buddhist perspective, trying to achieve this impossible task is the main problem of Christianity (actually pedestalizing Jesus is the root of the problem.. I'll explain in the next paragraph). To combat this realization, early Catholics cleverly institutionalized "guilt" as a virtue. They say you will sin, but if you feel guilt and confess everything is alright!

About the early Christians pedstalizing Jesus as THE son of God, instead of just a son of god who anyone can be like...
    From a Buddhist and Hindu perspective, Jesus was not too different than Buddha. Jesus was enlightened. He realized that he was part of the source, the godhead, brahman (whatever you want to call it - something indescribable) - at a very young age. Jesus was never introduced to eastern religions and spiritualities, so the only way he could describe his experience was to claim that he was a son of God! Of course he would have been immediately persecuted by the Jews if he had gone around telling everyone that, so he told everyone instead that he was instead the Messiah, from the book of Isaiah. And after he was crucified, his followers pedestalized him and worshiped him as a demigod without realizing that he was just a normal man who spontaneously became enlightened at an early age.

You should read your bible more. Jesus never claimed to be the Son of God. The Jewish definition of a messiah was one who would free them from Roman rule.

If you are not a Christian you would not think of Jesus as the Son of God, obviously.

Jesus was not spontaneously enlightened,as you claim. This simply fits into your idea of epiphany. There was no enlightenment. If you were to actually read the bible you would see that Jesus was originally with and within the spirit.

Jesus also claimed many many times that the power he had was given to him by the Father. He never claimed to be God.

Here is a tip for you on your road to enlightenment. All of this discussion means nothing. You must Be. Empty as the Void.

Now go sit under a tree.
    Last edited by MaxOverlord; 08-23-2007 at 05:33 AM.
    You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing..... Descartes

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Sextent's Avatar Version Five
    Americans present their society as being one of free initiative, individualism and idealism, when in reality these are mostly words.
    Here's a clue for you, they are more than mostly words, they are actual, real, full blown words. What's more, some of us here know how to use them.

They were also originally written about 1984. (The book not the year).

We present our society as being one of free initiative, individualism and idealism, when in reality these are mostly words. We are a centralized managerial industrial society, of an essentially bureaucratic nature, and motivated by a materialism which is only slightly mitigated by truly spiritual or religious concerns. Related to this is another example of "doublethink," namely that few writers, discussing atomic strategy, stumble over the fact that killing, from a Christian standpoint, is as evil or more evil than being killed. The reader will find many other features of our present Western society in Orwell's description in 1984, provided he can overcome enough of his own "doublethink."
    His other stuff's probably plagiarised as well, I can't be arsed reading it.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    AmpeD's Avatar the o'lol factor BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    there would be buddha statues everywhere

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by AmpeD View Post
    there would be buddha statues everywhere
    i agree but i am in uk so i should not worry
    xXx zoey

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    What if America was predominantly Buddhist instead of Christian?
    There would be no Mexican wall/barrier.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    It would still be there. It would just work in reverse.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    lol yes..

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast