Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Downloading Music Stealing? Not In My...

Originally posted by 2nd gen noob@1 July 2003 - 22:02
    of course it's stealing

you're either blind or a fool (or a blind fool) not to 'see' that.
    downloading a file is the same as stealing a cd from a shop

after all, the songs on the cd are files too

downloading music is stealing, and is wrong. unless it's to feed your family of course, then there's a grey area
    Sorry mate, its not stealing! as your not permanently depriving anyone of anything only making a copy its not theft, alls your doing is breaking copy right laws which lets face it nearly everyone has a copy of something.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by 2nd gen noob+1 July 2003 - 22:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (2nd gen noob @ 1 July 2003 - 22:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by JPaul@1 July 2003 - 22:30
    Originally posted by 2nd gen noob@1 July 2003 - 22:25
    <!--QuoteBegin-BlizZ
    @1 July 2003 - 22:16
    No, I&#39;m just saying what I think.

yeah, but what do you think of my question?

what about if you went to the shop, stole the cd, ripped the tracks to your computer, then put the cd back in the shop where you got it?
    is that stealing?

also, you have to remember that opinion has nothing to do with the law...

See my last. It would not be theft per se.

However I&#39;m sure it would be some other offense (don&#39;t have the slightest idea what tho&#39.

Similar to taking a car and driving it without the owners consent. "Twocing" I think they call it. You don&#39;t intend to keep it from them, just take it and use it for a while then they can get it back.
    well, i&#39;ve got to say that i disagree with you on this one JPaul.
    i repsect your opinion, however, i maintain that downloading music is theft

i think we should agree to disagree on this one... [/b][/quote]
    I see where you are coming from, however I am only making the legal distinction, not a moral / ethical one.

The Theft Act 1968 requires that the offender has the intention to permanently deprive the rightful owner of the goods.

I do not see how this can be the case when copying (something which is already a copy)

I suppose I am being legally pedantic in this. However if anyone is ever in the position of being sued or prosecuted then that is exactly what will happen.

PS thanks for that, I have every respect for your opinions as well. You are one of the posters who I read with interest.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    I wouldn&#39;t class downloading music as stealing but its kinda close, you are also breaking the law which is as bad as if u were stealing, i personally see no problem with file sharing. but 2nd gen noob has a good point about the taking it and putting it back thing, that is stealing but a very gud idea, keep &#39;em coming

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Whatever. Anyone downloading music or anything they didn&#39;t pay for is a THIEF.

I download lots of music that I don&#39;t pay for, and am under no illusions.

I am directly appropriating revenue-generating property from the artist/creator/manufacturer. Even if I think they "deserve" it, or don&#39;t need the &#036;.

I try to dl from large acts where most of the money goes to the label (still stealing), but I sometimes just dl whatever I want - sorry indies - I am an artist too.

You can justify it however you like; they have lots of money already; I&#39;m broke; can&#39;t buy the record; the artist is dead; it&#39;s not "property; etc.

Doesn&#39;t matter. It&#39;s still stealing.

However, until the recording industry restructures the cost and process of it&#39;s products, I will continue "stealing". If the music was readily available and reasonably priced, this would never have happened.

Peace

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    JPaul&#39;s right. It isn&#39;t theft. Not by the legal definition of it, anyway. The organizations who keep trying to shut down P2P throw that word around because the general populace will understand "theft" more than "breach of copyright."

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@2 July 2003 - 00:54
    JPaul&#39;s right. It isn&#39;t theft. Not by the legal definition of it, anyway. The organizations who keep trying to shut down P2P throw that word around because the general populace will understand "theft" more than "breach of copyright."

Good point, well made. It&#39;s a fear / disruption thing.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Poster
    An even bigger copyright violation is the perpetual extensions of copyright timeperiods, retroactively applied.

Public domain is &#39;legally&#39; locked out of works that should&#39;ve been free to copy years ago.

Music artists have been robbed both of the ownership of what they develope AND the sales of it by the music industry -- signed into indentured servitude (contracts extending longer than legal for any other profession) and paid only after the music industry gets its &#39;fill&#39; of the profits. This is the same as auto workers and designers not being paid till the assembly line and everyone in the supply chain shows a profit...

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    Of course it&#39;s stealing&#33;

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    aight

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    I do think that there is a bit of a grey zone however with regards to calling something stealing...

I mean, aren&#39;t we sharing??

If my friend lends me a CD...and I copy it...would that be stealing or sharing??

ohh...and Welcome to Me&#33;

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast