Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Is Downloading Music Stealing? Not In My...

The answer to all three is false. However if I try to sell any of them for profit, then the answers are true. Seems simple enough to me.

2. File Sharing   -   #92
    Bottom line.
    Whenever you dl somthing, you're taking it off of someone, which isn't yours, so it is stealing.
    Btw, I'm also a Christian, but I duno if i'll ever be able to stop dl stuff off on kazaa
    So if someone downloads a file from me, they're stealing from me?

When you dl something, your getting it from the person you downloaded it from.. yes im taking it from that person, but they don't care, they're sharing, they still have a copy of the file.

So when you say "Whenever you dl somthing, you're taking it off of someone" are you talking about the person you download the file from?

3. File Sharing   -   #93
    IT IS NOT STEALING WILL YOU BE TOLD!!!!! AARRRRHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

like ive already said i spoke with a judge of a crown court about filesharing for 20mins he said its not theft! i think he should know what hes talking about.

when will this madness end?????? round and round we go! !!!! someone through in the towl.

4. File Sharing   -   #94
    bandit23
    Hi
    All sunday school students, and commercial addicts
    So yes we all are bandits, but we are little bandits, and that's why we are called so. If we were big ones we would call ourselves 'holders' - copyright holders or low holders or whatever we wish. Have you heard something like that: "the winner always has the right". The winner takes all - so does RIAA, so does MS. They worked for it - they were clever enough to steal so much they are not called thiefes anymore.
    So maybe stop watching commercials, stop excusing yourself, stop thinking how you were told to think. A start point?
    Perhaps here:
    http://www.dilbert.com/
    http://adbusters.org/magazine/

5. File Sharing   -   #95
    Well, i guess that you could say that downloading music off the net is stealing in one sense- in that you are probbaly stealing an hypothetical cd, or at least part of one. And i agree- recording something off the tv is basically the same and there you are stealing a hypothetical VHS tape, or whatever.

But that won't stand up in a court of law. as far as the the law is concerned what's happening here is a breach of copyright.

However, the analogy of filesharing to recording something off the tv or even record something from one tape to another is interesting, and there are very specific laws concerning that. As far as i can gather, we fine as long as we don't profit from the copying.

So as long as you don't dl an album, burn it onto a cd and proceed to sell that cd for profit, you're not really depriving anyone of anything- ie.the artist of thier royalties.

6. File Sharing   -   #96
    Eccentric
    of course its not stealing. its called file SHARING. in my opinion everyone is my neighbor, neighbors share things. and who is to say who my friends are. if my friend wants a copy of tape, cd, a movie then i m going to share it with them.

7. File Sharing   -   #97
    Originally posted by ISthisLEGAL.com@10 July 2003 - 00:19
    IT IS NOT STEALING WILL YOU BE TOLD!!!!! AARRRRHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

like ive already said i spoke with a judge of a crown court about filesharing for 20mins he said its not theft! i think he should know what hes talking about.

when will this madness end?????? round and round we go! !!!! someone through in the towl.
    Hey, dude... relax... have you read the earlier posts? I don't think that we're talking about legal definitions here (well, we shouldn't be). It's more a question of does it fit into Christian ethics, given that they say, "don't steal". When they say "steal", they don't mean our legal definition!

This post is obviously stupidly titled (sorry Blizz). The answer can too easily go either way depending on which definition is used.

I think Blizz should have asked "is file-sharing okay based on the rules/laws/beliefs of Christianity?". So, would anyone care to answer that question??

8. File Sharing   -   #98
    I personally dont think it's stealing i mean like everyone sayz its just one g**damn song the RIAA acts like its the end of the world and sueing r asses for some supid shit like this...thankx for listenin cuz this is bullshit

9. File Sharing   -   #99
    i do not believe downloading music is stealing because the person from whom your downloading is freely sharing the music, there is the option to stop an upload at any time. i do not agree with the first person on the message board, saying that stealing is only taking some physical object that doesnt belong to you, for instance, in the move sneakers, at the beggining, they show two college students hacking into private bank accounts and moving the money around as they saw fit, that is stealing because they did not have consent to take, or move, that money.

10. File Sharing   -   #100
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    I don't think this has anything to do with stealing, but in fact it has to do with your definition of Intellectual Property, and how an idea can be licensed or distributed for profit.
    Proud member of MDS

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast