Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: U.s. Suspends Aid To 35 Countries Over New Icc

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by evilbagpuss@2 July 2003 - 17:24

Thank you I couldnt have hoped for a better response. For a moment I thought you were going to argue that this US policy is based on ethics.
    No government's policy is based on ethics.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Poster
    Originally posted by evilbagpuss+3 July 2003 - 00:31--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (evilbagpuss &#064; 3 July 2003 - 00:31)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-jpaul
    Now I see the problem. I had assumed that English was your first language. My apologies.
    I love hostility in the face of logic

I was merely pointing out to clocker that the criticism of the US providing military aid is usually when they provide it to guys like Saddam Hussein who they know at the time is a monster. Military aid to &#39;normal&#39; gvts isnt even an issue.

Its not a difficult concept to understand JP although it does take this thread OT quite nicely. You crafty ole devil you [/b][/quote]

Well..........done

You......are......learning......how......to......be......condescending.

There&#39;s......an......old......adage.

The......intelligent ......make......the...... mistake ...... of...... assuming that...... everyone...... else ...... is ...... stupid.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    The abortion issue is a real tough one. I am pro-choice in philosophy (bearing children is a responsibilty, not a divine gift), but in reality, I could not live with having one of my own aborted (and I&#39;m an agnostic- so no religious hangups, I just feel that it is wrong). I, however; can support my offspring, and I would not be contributing to the cycle of poverty (one of my nations #1 problems-IMO), my chosing to abort would simply be for my own convenience.

I would have to agree with Echidnas "head in the sand" approach to closing abortion clinics. Does abortion go away, no it doesn&#39;t, it just becomes more dangerous.

Will people stop having sex? Not as long as "men" exist.

I can understand religious people having a serious problem with sending money to support abortions, as this, in their minds, dooms the aborted fetus to Hell. Catholics are also instructed that birth control is "wrong", so how can they, in good concious support a President sending such aid?

Well, the problem is very serious, and my solution is quite straight forward. To avoid the whole issue of religion, I think the money should be funnelled to providing free hysterctomies or tubal ligations. You have 9 kids you can&#39;t support, time to clean out the plumbing. Women should be allowed to get tubal ligations at any time, but once they have had 2 children, this procedure is mandatory. Tough situations demand tough solutions. You don&#39;t want one after 2 kids, you are given a metal hanger and wished the best of luck.

Due to human rights in the US, this could never be enforced here (though I wish it could), but I think elsewhere, beggars cannot not afford to be choosers.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    No Im not assuming everyone else is stupid at all. I was merely replying to this insult... err I mean post...

Originally posted by jpaul
    Now I see the problem. I had assumed that English was your first language. My apologies
    ...by explaining what I meant as you obviously thought it was irrelevant or illogical.

Or do you really expect me not to defend myself when you start questioning my command of the English language? And isnt that a perfect example of being condescending?

Damn, we&#39;re well OT now... you sly old fox

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    No government&#39;s policy is based on ethics.
    So why defend it then? If the UK Gvt was blackmailing other countries into doing its bidding (and it probably is) I would be just as harsh in my criticism.

Why do you feel the need to defend this policy of blackmail if you dont think its ethical? I would put it down to blind patriotism but I&#39;ve seen you criticise the US gvt before, so thats obviously not true in your case.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Originally posted by evilbagpuss@2 July 2003 - 17:58

So why defend it then? If the UK Gvt was blackmailing other countries into doing its bidding (and it probably is) I would be just as harsh in my criticism.

Why do you feel the need to defend this policy of blackmail if you dont think its ethical? I would put it down to blind patriotism but I&#39;ve seen you criticise the US gvt before, so thats obviously not true in your case.
    I was neither defending nor decrying, merely pointing out that no government in the world bases it&#39;s foreign policy on ethics.

What you call "blackmail" is nothing more than foreign aid. Every country disburses largess with an eye to strengthening alliances and furthering it&#39;s agenda. Why should the US be any different?

edit: spelling ( I thought it was "i before e except after c")

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    was neither defending nor decrying, merely pointing out that no government in the world bases it&#39;s foriegn policy on ethics.

What you call "blackmail" is nothing more than foriegn aid. Every country disburses largess with an eye to strengthening alliances and furthering it&#39;s agenda. Why should the US be any different?
    The problem is this.

"Furthering its agenda" = trying to weaken the ICC before its even begun.

Considering that the ICC is all about ensuring people cant commit atrocities and get away with it, its an outrage that the most powerful country in the world is out to destroy it. If the US thinks the ICC is flawed then they should try and change it. You cant deny they have the opportunity and the power to do so. I mean help us out a little here guys. The ICC would be a great achievement if it is executed correctly.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Clocker, JPaul, Hobbes:

We are all drunk and foaming at the mouth; we should forego posting until we&#39;re sober, and less hostile and insulting.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Poster
    Originally posted by j2k4@3 July 2003 - 01:29
    Clocker, JPaul, Hobbes:

We are all drunk and foaming at the mouth; we should forego posting until we&#39;re sober, and less hostile and insulting.
    Frankly I am insulted by your hostility.

I may have to partake of a small libation.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Originally posted by j2k4@2 July 2003 - 18:29
    Clocker, JPaul, Hobbes:

Party pooper.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast