Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: car buying advice- 1996 accord

AmpeD's Avatar the o'lol factor BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10

Question Mark

I am looking for a car- an accord or civic and found this:
    http://austin.craigslist.org/car/400843425.html

my question is: would this car run solidly for another year/10,000 miles if it already has 160k on it
    any1 driven a honda to 200k without any major problems with tranmission, a/c, motor etc?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Whether or not someone else has had problems is a moot point. Any argument is pointless as every vehicle is cared for differently, driven differently, put under different stressful conditions, etc.

I'd recommend hiring a mechanic for $50 or so to give the vehicle a good once over.

Just b/c another car of the same make and year ran perfectly or horribly should have little or no bearing on your decision.

yo

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    yea I should just go to a trusted mechanic

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by AmpeD View Post
    yea I should just go to a trusted mechanic
    Good Luck. I don't just mean with the car. I also mean trying to find a trusted mechanic.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    As suggested it would be a good idea to get a professional look at it, but also worth getting a carfax report, you may find that the vehicle qualifies for a buyback guarantee.
    He said he had it resprayed because he wanted a different color, but he has only had the vehicle for a couple of years, I would be suspicious that it needed a paint job for some other reason.

Have you checked out cars.com to get a comparison for price and condition of the same model in the area?

Also I believe Skizo lives in that area so check for deer antler scratches and bullet holes

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    yea that guy hasnt called me back thats not the car. and bigboab i know a mechanic but man is it hard to find a good one, i once saw an ad for a semi-honest retired mechanic (the writer was probably dyslexic but i lol'd). As for the bullet holes, thats a given in this area

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Not really on subject but with a '96 Honda you can expect a really good insurance rate.

We own a '98 Toyota Camry with 90,000 miles I think and it's still doing fine but my mom's '03 Alero is doing really shitty at 70,000 and we've had to get hers fixed a lot. I think Honda/ Toyota are more reliable than most older American cars. I own an '05 Saturn and at under 33,000 miles I've already had it repaired 3 or 4 times at the dealership at over $1000 in expense (free with warranty to 36,000 miles).

I personally would look for something with less miles b/c the last thing you want is to end up spending more on repairing the car than what it's worth.
    Last edited by silent h3ro; 08-28-2007 at 01:26 AM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    I had a 1994 accord that I sold to an acquitance a few years back - who I still stay in touch with. When I sold the car it had about 170,000 miles on it. It currently has 220,000 (he drives across the country a lot). He has had no problems - except for the normal wear and tear stuff.

But I kept the car in good shape and you never know how the current owner treats a car, so as suggested spend a little money and get a mechanic to look it over.

A honda itself will be fine, as long as it is treated well.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    From my own experience, the mechanic across the street from HEB on Koenig is a fair player. Never once had any issues with his or his crew's work. Quite an upright gentleman.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Im no longer looking at that accord, tonight im goin to check out a v6 2000 accord with 120 k

and thanks for the mechanic reccomendation man ill try it out. never knew there were so many austinites on this interwebs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast