Thread: Transferring Data From One Hd To A New One

Poster
    cuz i'll probably be buyiing a new pc but havent decided yet but i know there are things that can be used to transfer progs and apps over to the new computer. what is the best program that does this and what all is involved to do this. what difficulty rating would you say this is also.
    PLEASE help me get my Free IPOD! my brother got his 4 days ago and i need help with referrals. the screensavers just aired a story and it works. Just use my referral link and i suggest the 2 week blockbuster trial. you won't owe anything! http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=10154369

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    If you have the right EIDE cable you can run 2 hard drives. Your new hard drive w/operating system will just recognize it as an additional drive.

Drag and drop files as you need them. Basically use the old hard drive for storage.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    well the old computer is going to my kids so they can play with. beside if you can believe it the damn thing only had a 8 gb hd.
    PLEASE help me get my Free IPOD! my brother got his 4 days ago and i need help with referrals. the screensavers just aired a story and it works. Just use my referral link and i suggest the 2 week blockbuster trial. you won't owe anything! http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=10154369

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by ripley02@2 July 2003 - 23:51
    beside if you can believe it the damn thing only had a 8 gb hd.
    the damn thing? only 8 GB?? Bro, u don't kno how hard it is to be on a 3GB harddrive right now.

There are things you can buy, maybe at bestbuy were you connect a cable to your USB port on one comptuer, then to the other one. That way you can transfer the files threw the usb cable.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by ripley02@2 July 2003 - 17:51
    well the old computer is going to my kids so they can play with. beside if you can believe it the damn thing only had a 8 gb hd.
    Why not take the opportunity to back up your important stuff on CDs?
    Easily transferred onto a new HD and also a hardcopy backup in case of some future disaster.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Add this old hard drive in the new CPU and make it slave. Transfer the data you want to keep...No fancy tricks...easy way.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Ynhockey's Avatar Poster
    As people have suggested, just either connect to new HD to the old comp to transfer stuff or vice versa. CDs are ok too provided you have a good CD-RW and a good CD-ROM (some CD-ROMs can just misread a CD and think it&#39;s blank, happenned to me a lot in the past). If it&#39;s important data though, i recommend 3 things:

a) The HD suggestion - copy from 1 to the other
    b) CD backups
    c) Upload to the internet to a free host like Yahoo Briefcase or Narod.ru (for the really important data).

Once you have done all 3, there&#39;s almost no way you can go wrong.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    Then again you could just use a Ghost boot disk....

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Use Drive Image by Power Quest it is really easy.