Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are People Getting Dumber?

chalkmongoose
    It's easy to hack a computer, if you know the IP address... And with everyone on the web today like p2p, IPs are broadcast faster than the Matrix 2 DVD rips. Why, with that information, are there so many idiots out there who leave port 80 opened on their machines? Personally, I prefer to leave port 80 opened, but I also have my system programmed so that people connecting to me get a funny message, and that's it. Also, if someone cracks my computer, there's nothing on it. I keep everything on CDs.
    So, maybe I don't care if someone hacks me, but I know people with a lot of sensitive data, no firewalls, and a static IP (probably dialup)
    I think people are getting dumber...

2. Lounge   -   #2
    I agree with what your saying man --- I also do what u do i never have any thing on the computer ( well nothing of any real use 2 any 1 else ) i keep the majority of my stuff on CD's if sum 1 wants 2 hack my machine and view my MetroStar's pictures their more than welcome...

3. Lounge   -   #3
    crazy_billy_bats's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by MetroStars@2 July 2003 - 19:56
    if sum 1 wants 2 hack my machine and view my MetroStar's pictures their more than welcome...
    righto cheers metro me old son

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Poster
    i think you've just got a lot of people new to the net who are not aware oof such problems. I'm new to it and i dont know what port 80 is , but i;m gonna bloody find out now. more and more people have comps these days but they use them for fun applications or some sort of hobby. it doesnt cross their minds about nutters on the net.
    max 80x80
    100kb

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    I don't have anything important or personal on my computer, yeah it would be a bit of a bitch if someone deleted everything but nothing a few hours fixing couldn't sort. And anyway, I have all my music/progs backed up on disc. Personally, it wouldn't bother me THAT much as in about 2 hours I could have my comp back to normal.

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

6. Lounge   -   #6
    If you leave your port 80 open and even if it's rigged that just might even attrack
    real hackers ,better go for invisible mode and if you don't use instant messaging
    programs you can turn of IP-broadcast.

And yes ppl are getting dumber ,I always doubt myself......

7. Lounge   -   #7
    chalkmongoose
    Even though I'm pretty damn good (I have netBIOS commands and ports memorized), I still get worried every time I view the net, because someone is always better than you. Personally, even with everything I know, I admit *blush* that even I like to use script kiddie tools. The difference being that I know what I'm doing, and I see no point in hacking someone's computer.
    I will say this though:
    With 90% of America's home-based users using Windows, and a majority of them using Windows XP, its no wonder hacking is on the rise... People don't realize that by buying a Windows machine, they are pretty much opening up their doors and letting in everyone.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    chalkmongoose
    Also, as a final point, I may as well comment on the ease of finding hacking tools. It used to be tricky, you'd need to have a good idea of whether the netBIOS port was opened on an IP, and then you'd have to do all sorts of stuff to it. Now people can open up a port scanner, find a range of ports, open up an smb scanner, and be done with it...

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Poster
    well thanks for letting any unresponsible viewers know that, excuse me while i just go and turn my modem off
    max 80x80
    100kb

10. Lounge   -   #10
    chalkmongoose
    A real life example perhaps?
    I just took five minutes and hacked somebodies computer... Only their shares of course, but other stuff is pretty easy also.
    Of course, I am a good programmer, with a heavy knowledge of a lot of stuff, so I differ from the average script kiddie. And by the way, I have no intention of doing any malicious stuff, I just wanted to prove my point.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast