Thread: Windows Genuine Advantage is F'd up worldwide

zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    ...We contacted our sources at Microsoft, who told us off the record that the company is aware of a major WGA server outage affecting users across the globe. The Windows Genuine Advantage support forum has exploded with complaints, as a result, and Phil Liu, WGA project manager, says that he won't sleep until the problem is fixed. Windows Vista and XP are affected, 32- and 64-bit versions....

Source: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ms-galore.html

---------
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 08-26-2007 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Added image.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Racket's Avatar Retired
    does a repair install involve WGA or entering serial again? i have to fix my pc again.... (and i just can't remember at this time)

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    If you are reinstalling on the same PC, you can just backup the activation files. Check this:
    http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/29/
    Look at the second method (Backup Activation Method).
    If you are using an OEM install, look at the third method.

Ive been using method 2 for years now and havnt needed to re-activate XP in such a long time.
    blah blah blah... whatever...

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    According to the source link that was posted, an update has been published that the problem is solved.

Boy, Microsoft just keeps proving why they're the best!!
    Post something relevant that adds value, or keep yer trap shut like you was avoidin a sistaboy in prison.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I don't have this problem. My windows never has problems with wga

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Hmm, its getting to much like Big brother for my liking. all these WGA, programs that send infomation back to the company collecfting data. Its all spyware to me, i think we should be allowed to uninstall WGA the same way we do a trojen.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    wga is validation for their software, it is not sending your personal info, and therefore you can either submit to it, or just dont install windows. Choice is yours, but they are not doing anything illegal.
    Spyware collects personal identifiable information, this is just a check for legitimate software.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    By John C. Dvorak

The Windows Genuine Advantage plan became a genuine disadvantage over the weekend when the server that verified users went down and began to disable operating systems around the world. At least, it disabled the operating systems of computers that checked into the home base to affirm their legitimacy.

Source: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2176192,00.asp

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    By John C. Dvorak

The Windows Genuine Advantage plan became a genuine disadvantage over the weekend when the server that verified users went down and began to disable operating systems around the world. At least, it disabled the operating systems of computers that checked into the home base to affirm their legitimacy.

Source: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2176192,00.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by John C. Dvorak
    All this proves is that these Web-based applications cannot be trusted. A hacker attack on the WGA servers could shut down literally millions of machines whose users stupidly subscribed to this supposed "advantage," which does little more than look for pirated copies of the OS.
    That's a good point...maybe they'll revise it. Better yet remove/delete it.

errrr...nvm: Microsoft: WGA Outage 'Not an Outage'
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 08-29-2007 at 07:26 PM.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..