Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Update And Resuming Downloads

Poster
    Maybe some people have already noticed this-
    When you download patches from Windows Update, before the last patch is completed or before the install begins, kill the process.
    Close every thing and go back to windows update and select the same patches.
    They appear to download at an incredible speed!

They were actualy stored in a folder somewhere on your computer and Windows Update found them and resumed the download/install.

Why the hell then does this not apply to ALL downloads? From anywhere?

Just tired of downloads that fall asleep at say 597/650 mb.

Something to do with ActiveX I'm sure but hmmmmm........

* note: you can save some time on your next instal using this trick too. Start the download and copy the saved updates from last time into the temp folder that update just made. it'll install them as if it had just downloaded new ones.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    Thats cool Balamm,i wasn't aware of that.

You should move this to the tips section as i think it belongs there.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    BANNED
    wow thanks didnt know that

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    DVD PIRATE
    nothing great about that....windows update creates a "WU Temp" folder in your C:\ directory for where the updates go till theyre installed..so basically u think your getting incredible download speeds..(haha) when in actual fact Windows Update is just cross refrencing wot u already have d/loaded...so mods dnt move this to the tips section...move it to the garbage bin and close this thread down

u under a microsoft illusion ...lol

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    DVD PIRATE
    r-e-a-d-i-n-g c-o-m-p-r-e-h-e-n-s-i-o-n 1-0-1

lesson #1

say it slowly and clearly.......

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by balamm@29 June 2003 - 11:32
    DVD PIRATE
    r-e-a-d-i-n-g c-o-m-p-r-e-h-e-n-s-i-o-n 1-0-1

lesson #1

say it slowly and clearly.......
    Some people will never see what is right in front of there faces......lol
    and if they do......they don't comprehend it......because there to busy trying
    to argue.

P.S. nice tip!
    Peace brotherdoobie B)

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    actually, sometimes it does "download darn fast" even with other files. ive noticed this a number of times and nowadays i pray everytime my darn modem disconnects at the end of a huge file.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    I've noticed with some things, you can stop the download and finish it off another time, without a D/L manager.
    It applies to (dare I say) AOL software (cough, heap of shit, cough), when that was available to donwload.
    THis should apply to everything you download so you don't have to wait for a large file to finish before turning off the computer or whatever.
    I may also add that the "The ISP That Must Not Be Named" (everyone shivers) is very gay and no one should say it's 'real' name, or use it, or even think of it.
    I will start my very own 'GAY-O-L' website for all those who hate it.
    No-one must take "The Dark ISP" seriously and shouldn't take any of it's shit (literally).
    All those who agree must phone "You Know What", slap the operator in the face with a fish and say "I'm fed up of your shit bitch" and slam the phone down while throwing your telephone directory at the wall in anger.
    If yo ass wants to know why I have suddenly revealed my sworn secret it is because of all the shit "You Know What" put me through when attempting to change to "The ISP Who Lived": ntl:home.
    They said that their broadband was insecure and people could really fuck up your computer with it. They also said that AOL (shivers and screams) was the best because it was cheaper. It was, in fact, £1.99 dearer. We quickly changed to ntl:home and lived happily ever after, without the extremely slow and always disconnecting "ISP Who Must Not Be Named".

Thankyou for listening.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Balamm....... It is general knowledge to alot of users that a temp folder is created when using the Microshite update feature and when interrupted gives the user, after resuming the download, the impression that it is indeed quicker. But thankyou for the tip.

At some point I didnt have this knowleadge and must of sourced it from somewhere! Some people will find this information useful. As for those people who make comment with a "I know it all" attitude..........just ignore them my friend. They dont have a life, most of the time dont know as much as they claim and are probably only responding to increase posting figures to climb the BS posting ladder.

I admit that I'm new to this forum and some might argue that I dont have place to comment but Ive been involved with forums b4 and believe peeps should be given a fair go.

(No offense intended towards those who take these forums seriously).

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    chalkmongoose
    Actually, what Windows Update does can f' up your computer. Say you try and do Windows Update, you get to 19 megs, and the computer crashes, (which on Windows, ain't exactly a rare event). There is now 19 megs stored in your temps, and it doesn't want to leave. Now you go and try things again, but your already downloaded files are corrupted, and it can't find them, so it does this again, and again and again, until your drive is full of fragmented crap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast