Thread: Abortion Views

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    OK.

This topic is being re-opened.

However; it will be MODERATED closely.

Rules:

1/ NO PICTURES

2/ NO CONDEMNATION OR FLAMING

eg: No accusations of horrific crimes etc.....

We WILL delete individual posts; if they seem overly zealous... to try and keep the topic open, and it may be closed for further deliberation at any time.

I've taken the liberty of merging all 3 of the threads.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. The Drawing Room   -   #102
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by j2k4@7 July 2003 - 09:05

As to the availability of abortion services, by way of any effort to reduce the sheer number of them, would you consider dissemination of extensive (secular) information to all females (not just those in crisis), information meant to educate as well as inform, too (for lack of a better word) fettering?

Planned Parenthood stands in opposition to any such efforts, preferring to act as the clearing house for any information on the subject, to the legalized exclusion of all others.
    Firstly, thanks to RF and Lamsey ( and any other mods involved) for reopening this topic.

I have no problem at all, j2, in trying to reduce the number of abortions performed. Dissemination of information is a good thing.
    I am leery, given Bush's propensity to snuggle up to the Christian right, that such a program, not husbanded by Planned Parenthood, would evolve into a government funded form of dissuasion rather than education.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #103
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by clocker+7 July 2003 - 19:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker &#064; 7 July 2003 - 19:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@7 July 2003 - 09:05

As to the availability of abortion services, by way of any effort to reduce the sheer number of them, would you consider dissemination of&nbsp; extensive (secular) information to all females (not just those in crisis), information meant to educate as well as inform, too (for lack of a better word) fettering?

Planned Parenthood stands in opposition to any such efforts, preferring to act as the clearing house for any information on the subject, to the legalized exclusion of all others.
    Firstly, thanks to RF and Lamsey ( and any other mods involved) for reopening this topic.

I have no problem at all, j2, in trying to reduce the number of abortions performed. Dissemination of information is a good thing.
    I am leery, given Bush&#39;s propensity to snuggle up to the Christian right, that such a program, not husbanded by Planned Parenthood, would evolve into a government funded form of dissuasion rather than education.[/b][/quote]
    My thanks to the relevant mods also-Rat-I though you said other angles were okay, as long as we stepped away from the nuts-and-bolts and kept to peripheral issues; sorry I mis-understood; I wasn&#39;t my intent to get around you.

Clocker-

We agree on this, except for the involvement of Planned Parenthood. While it is very apparent (or should be) to all, the best way to change the "abortion" landscape is to change attitudes with regard to sexual practices and contraception. Planned Parenthood wishes to have total control of this issue and be accorded a singularly "expert" status (think in terms of the N.E.A.&#39;s hammerlock on education issues). They are not about to concede any part of the issue to any other entity without a fight; They don&#39;t want to debate the efficacy of another voice on the issue, they want the other voice silenced.

Watch what happens as Bush pushes his AIDS program in Africa.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #104
    jetje's Avatar former star
    Originally posted by kAb@3 July 2003 - 07:16
    In other cases, where the woman had the choice to be protected but didn&#39;t bother to etc., no.
    What about the responsibility of the guy.............&#33;

It is so easy to judge a woman while you can walk away from your responsibility

5. The Drawing Room   -   #105
    Originally posted by jetje+8 July 2003 - 07:46--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetje &#064; 8 July 2003 - 07:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-kAb@3 July 2003 - 07:16
    In other cases, where the woman had the choice to be protected but didn&#39;t bother to etc., no.
    What about the responsibility of the guy.............&#33;

It is so easy to judge a woman while you can walk away from your responsibility [/b][/quote]
    Women have my empathy, believe me, but am I to understand that there are no circumstances under which a woman might bear some culpability?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #106
    Poster
    It was basically someone holding a Barbie doll, with just the feet showing.....Its the symbology that was disturbing, not the graphic nature.
    I&#39;m really out of the loop on this, but I&#39;m glad to see the thread open once again.
    If you want to see the deleted pic from page 5 of this thread go here
    Deleted Image
    Rat Faced is right&#33;
    The symbology is potent.

Btw Rat, I&#39;m not trying to be an assh**e or something by posting the link.
    If you don&#39;t feel it&#39;s appropriate or just too inflamitory feel free to delete.

*The decision was made on images. They are not appropriate in this thread&#33;

7. The Drawing Room   -   #107
    Poster
    Well luckily i live in a country where it is legal. It will prevent a lot of ruined lives for kids and mothers... Cases like rape are mentioned but also for mentally disabled people that doesn&#39;t have the ability to raise kids, for stupid young kids that were just dumb, for junks that accidently get pregnant.... It will prevent lives in missery for the people involved and the unborn child.
    Ofcourse there is a certain timeline... at some point it is to late for an abortion, that has to be regulated well.

Woman in our country believe they are boss in own belly... i think that&#39;s their right

i think what should happen is more freely spoken about sexuality, good sexual education and explanings about birthcontrol and anti-conception product.
    Also condoms must become cheaper and easier available...&#33;
    Also the right for an abortion would help a lot of people that are searching for one to be able to get the right medical care in stead of going to an underground butcher that does it if you pay enough money...&#33;
    My take exactly.

Good unbiased council too would help.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #108
    Originally posted by clintonesque@9 July 2003 - 08:55
    Well luckily i live in a country where it is legal. It will prevent a lot of ruined lives for kids and mothers... Cases like rape are mentioned but also for mentally disabled people that doesn&#39;t have the ability to raise kids, for stupid young kids that were just dumb, for junks that accidently get pregnant.... It will prevent lives in missery for the people involved and the unborn child.
    Ofcourse there is a certain timeline... at some point it is to late for an abortion, that has to be regulated well.

Woman in our country believe they are boss in own belly... i think that&#39;s their right

i think what should happen is more freely spoken about sexuality, good sexual education and explanings about birthcontrol and anti-conception product.
    Also condoms must become cheaper and easier available...&#33;
    Also the right for an abortion would help a lot of people that are searching for one to be able to get the right medical care in stead of going to an underground butcher that does it if you pay enough money...&#33;
    My take exactly.

Good unbiased council too would help.
    Exactly.

It should be noted that Planned Parenthood&#39;s council does not qualify as "unbiased."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #109
    Poster
    I think the word PLANNED gives that away j2k4

Neil

10. The Drawing Room   -   #110
    Poster
    Thats exeptable too. lol

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast