Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Much Info Can Someone Get About Me?

I like to think of myself as fairly computer literate, but i am always suprised by how much i don't know about one subject; how much of my personal information is avaliable for people to spy. Having heard more and more about the RIAA "cracking down" on P2P filesharing, i've been very curious as to how they would ever be able to track individual people down and arrest them, or whatever. Exactly what information are you sending out when you're connected to a P2P network? How could a hacker/the government/whatever use this information? Is there anything i can do to increase my anonimity? I would be very interested in learning about how to protect myself on-line in general.

If someone has any information or links to a good website with information about internet privacy/protection i would love to learn more. Thanks in advance

MIKO

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Dam fine question MIDO-MIKO -- I would also luv sum info on this

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    In fast track u upload a list of your shared files to the supernode, so I suppose thats visible to the RIAA. When u connect to someone u will be giving your ip address (and the port kazaa runs on) and without the privacy patch u will also be again showing what files u r sharing. From the Ip addres anyone can determine your ISP and your location in the world (actually might be your isp's location in the world). (With your ip address they can also probably determine whether or not you r firewalled.) Thats enough info for the RIAA to find out who u r, by contacting your isp and asking them for who logged in to that IP address at that time (if dynamic) or if its static they'll just ask who is assigned that ip address.

Probably the easiest way to make yourself more anonymous is to use a proxy server(s), there are lists of free ones constantly being updated if u go looking for them. This will slow down your download speed but will essentially better hide your ip address, though it could still be found out if the records of the proxy server were also kept and examined. I'll leave it to someone else to do the more advanced stuff and provide links.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Well think of it as this they get your ip no problem. Well your ip shows your connection and location of your computer. So they got where you live they look who live there that would be you now they know who you are. Now all they got to do is go to your local sheriff and say they need a warnet to seize your computer on the ground of piricey, stealing, copyright infingment, and conspicey. Dosent sound cool cuase after that you have to pay $700 each song you have after that microsoft and many other companies will rear there evil heads in when they find that you obtained there product (i.e. sever 2000 $4000). Sounds like a big deal but also if you havent went to collage yet, dont count on going they make it so you cant just as if you got caught for hacking. Same things will happen no phone no collage ( DAM YOUZ GUYZ ATS THA RIAA AND MPAA ). It's all bull crap please keep sharing, i know this might happen to me but i am not scared i am kinda worried yes, but oh well i say screw them i'll share for ever even if i get cuaght lol also if you do get cuaght put up a web page for donations i'll donate we all wil.l

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    nucleardawg's Avatar n00b
    I'm hoping that music is the only thing thats getting cracked down on. By the way, is it legal to download singles? Is anything you download on a file sharing network legit? Cause I have no idea.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Wow, that was the longest sentance-without-a-period i have ever seen

Thanks for the info though, so it sounds like it would be pretty easy for the government to find out almost anything they want about me just through my connection with kazaa... thats kind of scary. Hopefuly they'll never find out about that japanese bukkake scat underage bestiality video i downloaded

Keep the information comming, it would be great if someone had some good news, like maybe some new technology that helps with masking our online identidy... maybe. Well theres always wishful thinking. tata for now

MIKO

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    By the way, is it legal to download singles? Is anything you download on a file sharing network legit? Cause I have no idea.
    No it is not legal to download singles if those singles are available to buy in shops or anywhere. If someone has made music for example in thier bedroom and put it on fileshareing then it is free and legal but if what you download weather it be music/games/films/software most likely it is illeagle, definatly if it is available to buy somewhere then it will be illeagle to download for free i havnt found or heard of anyone who uses a filesharing system for legit purposes. Ooops yes i know one person he is a dj and releases his stuff free on some filesharing program. Otherwise most people use it to get games music etc...

As for getting caught i say fuck them. I am 28 and have been copying games, etc since i was 14 and had my atari ST only we sent games through the post they didnt do shit then allthough they (F.A.S.T. Federation Against Software Theft) did have loads of adverts warning that you will be caught. Some may get fines or something,millions will get nothing but free stuff still. That is what i think anyway

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Originally posted by bungholio@3 July 2003 - 22:22
    By the way, is it legal to download singles? Is anything you download on a file sharing network legit? Cause I have no idea.
    No it is not legal to download singles if those singles are available to buy in shops or anywhere. If someone has made music for example in thier bedroom and put it on fileshareing then it is free and legal but if what you download weather it be music/games/films/software most likely it is illeagle, definatly if it is available to buy somewhere then it will be illeagle to download for free i havnt found or heard of anyone who uses a filesharing system for legit purposes. Ooops yes i know one person he is a dj and releases his stuff free on some filesharing program. Otherwise most people use it to get games music etc...

As for getting caught i say fuck them. I am 28 and have been copying games, etc since i was 14 and had my atari ST only we sent games through the post they didnt do shit then allthough they (F.A.S.T. Federation Against Software Theft) did have loads of adverts warning that you will be caught. Some may get fines or something,millions will get nothing but free stuff still. That is what i think anyway
    how can it be illegal to download singles when there shown on TV music chart shows for free?

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    because they have paid the copyright holder money to play it,has your music been copied from the single or from a T.V. show? if it is from tv show then i am not sure if it legal or not, but i havent come across tracks that have been copied off the telly cause i guess it wouldnt be to good quality, although i have seen music videos from mtv, etc for download I dont know what the legal status of that would be but i would sure like to know.

I dont mind breaking the law i just want to know the law so I know exactly when I'm breaking it

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by Shad0w Hacker@3 July 2003 - 13:48
    well think of it as this they get your ip no problem well and ip show your connection and location of your computer so they got where you live they look who live there that would be you now they know who you are
    For the last time... Your IP is not your computer's physical location on the planet!

IPs may be assigned a certain range for certain geographical areas near the ISP (and that's just educated speculation on my part), so someone may be able to get a general idea of where you live, but there is absolutely no way, other than contacting your ISP, that they can determine your street address.

The most information someone could gather about you through your connection to the FastTrack network is: your IP, the port number Kazaa is running on, the files you are sharing (if the hide option isn't turned on. even then, they could just gather your username over multiple searches of different files).

Knowing the IP, in turn, tells them who your ISP is, and that's where someone will get the most information about you, by contacting them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast