Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scam?

Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    I wonder what would happen to the person 'used' by this money laundering scam. Would they be guilty of any offence?

If bankers can charge you £30 or so for a letter, calling it a service charge, then surely you could be entitled to 'charge' for your services in these scams. On the assumption that you plead ignorance*.

*That plea has always worked for me.
    That's not money laundering. They are just using that term because people can understand it (or think they do). Stealing money from someone's bank account (the forgery option) then having them transfer it to you via an MSB is not laundering it's theft. You know that boab. Taking goods with an intention to permanently deprive. FFS the article even describes the criminals as "Fraudsters" on several occasions. How often as a Cop did you see this sort of thing. They call the crime one thing, then go on to describe something else. It's just making things easy for the reader to think they understand. Thinking about it, you may even have been involved in writing press releases or notes to editors.

In the option of the stolen cheque they would once again simply treat it as theft. The bottom line is, once the stolen cheque is identified as such, then if the money is debited against the victims account at the same time it is credited to the original victim's account. The net effect being the same as the forgery option. i.e. The person selling the PC (or whatever) has money stolen from their account and they transfer it to the thief.

Either way it's not money laundering.

There are ways you could argue that there was an element of money laundering under the terms of POCA 2002, however they are specious and you certainly wouldn't put them in the West Country Trading Post. In effect you would have to argue that the victim of a crime was knowingly assisting the criminal to retain, transfer or conceal the proceeds of the crime against him. That's just fucking mad.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

2. Lounge   -   #22
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    One of the West country Post links describes this as Criminal Cashback. Obviously they are not reading their own links. Caravan Club? They are probably barbecuing them.

http://www.met.police.uk/fraudalert/money_transfer.htm

Never send money via money transfer service if you have been in receipt of cheque payment from someone in a sum greater that that you are asking (known as criminal cashback) for the item you are selling or property you are renting. After the cheque has been paid into your account, the fraudster you will encouraging you to send to them or someone else the difference by money transfer or bank transfer. Never send these people money by any method. If the cheque is stolen or forged it often can take more than 3 days, sometimes considerable longer, before that cheque is identified as being stolen or forged. Not only have you already sent the funds by money transfer with no means of recovering it, you will find that you bank account will have the original debt reversed, leaving you with the loss of the funds withdrawn and sent via money transfer.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Indeed

As it is most likely an attempt at FRAUD with you as the intended victim. This is because a stolen cheque or bankers draft can be recalled by the bank even after the funds have gone through the clearing cycle and are showing on your account. Any money transfered by you cannot be recalled once sent.

You will not be reimbursed by the bank for your loss
    The Met's capitals.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    snowultra's Avatar Member
    everytime i sell something on craigslist---i get that exact e-mail almost. the check is fake

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy View Post
    ....he's going to give me a cheque for £3.5K, ask me to bank it, then send him the money via Western Union apart from the £250 (I said I was willing to sell for £200 but he wants to give me £250) and any deductions....
    Dude dont!. Western union and those types of emails dont match it is a scam 99.999999999% . trsut me my friend is an ex scammer ,

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by neotheone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy View Post
    ....he's going to give me a cheque for £3.5K, ask me to bank it, then send him the money via Western Union apart from the £250 (I said I was willing to sell for £200 but he wants to give me £250) and any deductions....
    Dude dont!. Western union and those types of emails dont match it is a scam 99.999999999% . trsut me my friend is an ex scammer ,
    Give him a swift kick in the nuts for me.

yo

7. Lounge   -   #27
    KSA's Avatar Pro Skater BT Rep: +5
    My advice, not to go with it, it seems to be a new tricky way to scam people, stay away m8.
    FLiP all the way!

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by KSA View Post
    My advice, not to go with it, it seems to be a new tricky way to scam people, stay away m8.
    :sage:

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Yes indeed scam city!

I am the King of Nigeria! GIVE ME YOUR MONEY!

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Seevers View Post
    Yes indeed scam city!

I am the King of Nigeria! GIVE ME YOUR MONEY!
    Pop me a PM with your bank details and I'll transfer my vast wealth into it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast