Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 200kbps>? Fact Or Jokes?

o btw, those are MAX speeds.... your cable speeds depend on how many people are on your node and how much bandwidth they are using (cable is a shared bandwidth setup offering you UP TO whatever they tell you.. usually bout 1.5mbps) also you can only recieve as fast as your host(s) is(are) sanding

p
    fortuna favet audaci

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Poster
    Originally posted by Amarjit@7 July 2003 - 11:39
    No, you can see for yourself, I have a screenshot, and you can ask {I}{K}{E}, he has 512/128 and has downloaded at around 380KB/Sec on IRC.

Well, that is an awfully small file... I've also downloaded files of similar size a lot faster than my connection is capable of. There's at least one possible explaination...

While chosing the location you want to save the file, and typing in a name, the download is already going. By the time the progress window is displayed, you've already downloaded part of the file. The progress windows plays catch-up and displays an unrealistic speed. I know this to be true.

I'm sure there's other possibilities, but in all honesty... it's not what you think it is.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Originally posted by Amarjit@7 July 2003 - 10:39
    No, you can see for yourself, I have a screenshot, and you can ask {I}{K}{E}, he has 512/128 and has downloaded at around 380KB/Sec on IRC.

IE's downloader things is usually wrong at the beginning. If you downloaded a bigger file (not one that only takes a few second) the rate would slowly drop and average out until you get something that is about right. While doing that trick l have gotten rates close to 1000 KB/sec but it never stays that way for long. I can usually get about 250 KB/s from a good site or sources. Im on cable

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i can get about 1MB sec, its at my uni though, and it can upload at leaet 500KB/sec

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Oh yea! Well check out my download speed.........

B) B)

EDIT: Oh yea, I know there are flaws in that pic. I only spent 3 min making it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    Originally posted by Amarjit@4 July 2003 - 13:24
    I got 374KB/Sec and I&#39;m only on 512/256Kbps ADSL .
    thats impossible.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Poster
    i normally see download rates at 250 average, sometimes it spikes up to 300, and i&#39;ve seen 350 sumthin, and i&#39;m on 1.5mb downstream and 512kb upstream, and in kazaa i can get an average of 300 on popular files, but 200-300 is basically what i get. btw i have cable with a uncapped modem, but an internet test said thats what i get (the 1.5mb down, and 512kb up).

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    ok so im trying something out... i just got 4 dsl lines installed, and im gonna use a router to load-balance them, hopefully (HOPEFULLY) i will be able to get a total of 6mbps bandwidth... wouldnt that be great =) thats 768k/sec... thats almost 1 megabyte per second... w00t ill let you all know how it goes

p

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    How does that work? could ur computer do the load balancing in a simlar way? I&#39;m soon hopefully gonna be connected to the internet through a network and through a dsl modem, is a similar thing possible?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    well if you have 4 x 1.5mbps then you should be able to &#39;share&#39; the load on all 4 lines... if you can do that, your max bandwidth goes to 6mbps with all 4 lines maxed out... though its unlikely that most servers will be able to put out that fast, one can always hope... im going to be using 2 cisco routers

p

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast