Thread: Via Kt400 Chipset + Ddr400

lynx's Avatar .
    Reports suggest that the KT400 chipset with DDR400 memory is actually slower than DDR333 memory - but I cannot confirm this.

It is also said that it does not properly support DDR400 memory. I can confirm this from personal experience. Apparently only a few manufacturers memory seem to work with this chipset, presumably the slower ones, which probably accounts for the first report.

Anyone thinking of using DDR400 memory with an inexpensive chipset would do better to look at the VIA KT400A.
    Better still, go for the new nVidia chipset with 2 dimms as this allows for higher bandwidth (one dimm will be reading/writing data whilst the other is preparing etc).
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by lynx@3 July 2003 - 19:58
    Reports suggest that the KT400 chipset with DDR400 memory is actually slower than DDR333 memory - but I cannot confirm this.

It is also said that it does not properly support DDR400 memory. I can confirm this from personal experience. Apparently only a few manufacturers memory seem to work with this chipset, presumably the slower ones, which probably accounts for the first report.

Anyone thinking of using DDR400 memory with an inexpensive chipset would do better to look at the VIA KT400A.
    Better still, go for the new nVidia chipset with 2 dimms as this allows for higher bandwidth (one dimm will be reading/writing data whilst the other is preparing etc).
    The VIA KT400 chipset, despite the name, does not officially support DDR400 (PC3200). DDR400 support was introduced in the KT400A.

However, nVidia's nForce2 chipset is still by far the best as, like you said, it supports Dual-channel DDR.