Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Why the Hell are Ebooks so appealing!?

they are new, that's why they are appealing

2. Lounge   -   #72
    gamesover's Avatar Panda BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Because it's something to do at school when I'm sitting on a computer pretending I'm working.

3. Lounge   -   #73
    I like the fact that you can read anywhere, anytime. Since getting my ebook reader I have read 4-5x as many books just because it is so much more convenient to carry than a traditional book.

4. Lounge   -   #74
    waseboke
    I can read ebooks anywhere I want

5. Lounge   -   #75
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Because it's "new" and "cool" and people buy into the marketing.
    Added to that the fact that society is becoming both increasingly entitled and lazy .But seeing how the masses have bought into ( what's the opposite of life enriching?) cellphones I'm afraid that I've already lost that argument.

"I can read ebooks whenever I want" .Strangely I have found that I can also do that with the paper ones.Plus when I hold a "paper" book in my hands it is real and substantial .In a world of transitories that solidity is somehow comforting and I like that.

I suppose that there is a cost benefit if you don't use the Library and after you download enough to make up for the cost of the reader . Take a while though.

Other than that it saves room (especially when traveling ) and trees ( again although I'm sure that trees being still a renewable resource the environmental impact of the ebook readers plastic and mercury are infinitely worse) .
    Respect my lack of authority.

6. Lounge   -   #76
    Only need to bring "one" book everywhere.

7. Lounge   -   #77
    For me, because:

1. I can search and download ebooks within a minute and discard them immediately (if they don't serve their purposes) without losing anything
    2. I can search the ebook itself using the search feature on acrobat/foxit/whatever
    3. They make cross-referential research TOO easy lol. I mean think about referring to 13 open docs and 13 open books and you'll get what I mean.

8. Lounge   -   #78
    littlepaulie's Avatar Poster
    i used to do ebooks but after some time i decided that im gonna be buying regular books i simply cant stand reading (too much) in front of a computer screen... it hurts my eyes

9. Lounge   -   #79
    Poster
    why do i like my ebook reader?

Because I can put one book in my bag and have a whole library with me wherever I go.
    I can read magazines, pdf's, text books, anything i like on it, and still only have the one book with me.
    Its convenient when i have to wait for appointments, kids, husbands..
    its awesome to read text books on, and saves holding 4 huge thick text books in your bag when going to class
    It allows me to change my mind when i am bored of reading something, and want a change.

I dont think its an advertising gimmick.. i think its a welcome addition to my life that makes things easier

10. Lounge   -   #80
    Glod's Avatar Poster
    I grew up with physical copies of books and continue to vastly prefer them over e-books. The tactile sensation of holding the book and manually flipping the pages somehow contributes to my enjoyment of reading, and the text itself is also far easier on the eyes. Certain e-book readers use e-ink, which helps, but I still find it less appealing.

Some other e-book disadvantages: formatting is of varying quality, jumping between pages is unintuitive, navigation is frustrating, and the process is altogether slower.

If I want to read a book, I'll just grab it off the shelf and be reading in under 10 seconds, with no issues. Lastly, the superior navigation encourages me to return to previous sections, which leads to greater understanding of the material and longer retention of information.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast