Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange Sound, Screeching Songs...et Cetera

I am having the same problem.

All newly released songs are doing this.
    I can't find a good version of Love at 1st site by Mary Blige.

2. Music   -   #12
    I remember reading something about how the RIAA is going to make viruses that slow down music downloading and redirect you to pay-per-track music services. Maybe you guys downloaded a virus from them that corrupted your mp3s or maybe they hacked into ur computer and did that? I dont know, but I also remember reading an article about how the RIAA wants to hack into ur computer and delete all copyrighted Mp3s. I really don't know what the prob is, but mayb it has something to do with a virus or a damaged mp3 codec...

3. Music   -   #13
    same here songs that are new sound good about 13 sec then quit or sound like skipping and squealing. winamp slider bar goes backwards and time jumps around like crazy. tried in all my players and same thing. mp3 i have had before this happened all work. i tried to get a song i have downloaded before same song and file size, so it was the same one and now it doesnt work?? can get it i think riaa is on the move. oh ya and they do seem to have them numbers in front mostly?? (600) (601) ...and so on. i tried some older ones and most of the time they work.virus check with norton came up with nothing??

4. Music   -   #14
    Poster
    I got the same problem right now. I downloaded the Lumidee - Never Leave You track and I too get the same noise. Other MP3s work fine though.

You most likely got a fake file placed on FastTrack by RIAA. My suggestion is to just download the file again. About people having the problem on all the MP3s, my suggestion is to uninstall any codec packs you may have and reinstall them again. Maybe this is happening from a damaged codec file.

5. Music   -   #15
    Working on the assumption that this problem is caused by the sharing of fake files by the RIAA (which, of course, isn't definite), one would assume that they would create the fake files for the most popular versions of the new releases. For example, I tried downloading Marilyn Manson-mOBSCENE...the first 5 files i tried--those with the most users sharing them--all had the weird noises. Then i picked a file that had only 3 users, no problems. I might suggest if you have a slow, crappy connection like mine, to go for some of the less-shared files if you can get a good connection to other users...those are the ones less likely to include a fake.

6. Music   -   #16
    iamtheoneandonlyone's Avatar Andromeda Ascendant
    RIAA - These are bad people you'd want to hate.

It could be from them but I wouldn't think so. It could be the file is corrupted or damaged or something. Just a suggestion.

7. Music   -   #17
    i have also noticed that when i click the plus sign to see the sources from the search list. that some files are different sizes? i would guess that these files are not all the same and may have somthing to do with the sound i am getting . not a techie so just a guess. but before i remember all the songs under a given title would have all the same file size example 50 users for say a song click the plus sign all have the file size 4,555. now i get 4,555 - 4,733- 4, 455 and so on ?? how could thay be same song if different sizes?? is this normal?

8. Music   -   #18
    Poster
    Originally posted by arlosoft@6 July 2003 - 21:27
    I might suggest if you have a slow, crappy connection like mine, to go for some of the less-shared files if you can get a good connection to other users...those are the ones less likely to include a fake.
    People have been told on this forum to download files with the most sources. Since it is more likey that those are the files that you are looking for. I'm surprised to find out that a file with 99 sources could be a fake file. Do people actually listen to their MP3s when they download them, or do they just leave the file available for download even though they know its a fake?

9. Music   -   #19
    I expanded the file (clicked the plus sign) of the song i had searched for, and saw the same thing that peeweefresno mentioned. On a file that had 89 users sharing it, i counted at least 5 files that were of a different size than what the listing that shows file info and number of users said. Also, it showed multiple instances of a file from the same user, sometimes the same size, sometimes not. This might be caused by one downloading a file, realizing it's corrupt, then trying to download another version without deleting the initial file/moving it out of shared folder. I did this, didn't even think about deleting it until i saw i was uploading it to someone else.

I'm not sure how the network determines which files are which, pulling bits of information from different sized files which are supposed to be the same would definitely cause a problem...dunno if it would be the weird sound and time thing we've experienced.

10. Music   -   #20
    good question xstacy but i think those files worked before like i said i downloaded a file last week it was good tried agian this week didnt work? i think there might be a few corupted files with the same name and when u get the mutiple source downloads u get a bit of the ones that dont work. the file size that worked is the same i tried today and doesnt. and also as stated earlier they seem to have different file sizes under the same file when u click the plus sign. i could remember before they all had the same file size under a given title with a plus signin the search. agian just guessing but does anyone remeber them being different sizes and working??

Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast