Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Key Issue With Bittorrent...

1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    I was thinking today, after noticing that my bittorrent speeds have dropped tremendously with most popular files in the past week or two...

I think I know the reasoning.

for one, bittorrent is becomming more and more popular. After the big hulk workprint made major news, and bittorrent became even more wide spread, as it made national media attention...

so what do we have right now, tons, and tons of 56kers, taking the bandwith from the broad band users, and as their uploads are crap, our downloads are crap... i have seen 4 of my friends, ie friends i hang with, party with, etc, start using bt on dial up... and this the problem.

You connect to 30-40 seeders... say half of which are dial up... thus greatly reducing the overall bandwith upload wise, of that torrent... yes they are downloading at slower rates then the broad band users, but that is less of an issue as download bandwith is almost always far greater then upload bandwith on any p2p network.

so, the problem with bt right now is dial up... all these dial up users trying to get the latest copies of movies, etc.. when your upload to download ratio is 2-1 over the course of a download, thats a total joke...

any how... hopefully in time, this problem will sort itself out, as these users will see how much slower things are, and move on to another app, that gives them better rates, we can hope right?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    WRONG!!..cause there is a fantastic little program that aids 56kers to make BT the best dload program around if the file you want is on BT..and as long as the seed remains on long enuf to dload for 56kers..so the more 56k users that find this pro the more they will stay loyal to BT...long live the little guys!!!

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    no, the kwy is to get a good torrent file, and the tracker for the file.

A busy tracker, e.g suprnova will have lots of people. where as a tracker that isnt so busy or is less well known/private/high speed etc will be faster

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@4 July 2003 - 03:32
    I was thinking today, after noticing that my bittorrent speeds have dropped tremendously with most popular files in the past week or two...

for one, bittorrent is becomming more and more popular. After the big hulk workprint made major news, and bittorrent became even more wide spread, as it made national media attention...

so what do we have right now, tons, and tons of 56kers, taking the bandwith from the broad band users, and as their uploads are crap, our downloads are crap... i have seen 4 of my friends, ie friends i hang with, party with, etc, start using bt on dial up... and this the problem.

You connect to 30-40 seeders... say half of which are dial up... thus greatly reducing the overall bandwith upload wise, of that torrent... yes they are downloading at slower rates then the broad band users, but that is less of an issue as download bandwith is almost always far greater then upload bandwith on any p2p network.

so, the problem with bt right now is dial up... all these dial up users trying to get the latest copies of movies, etc.. when your upload to download ratio is 2-1 over the course of a download, thats a total joke...

any how... hopefully in time, this problem will sort itself out, as these users will see how much slower things are, and move on to another app, that gives them better rates, we can hope right?
    nice analysis

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by randm01@4 July 2003 - 11:54
    WRONG!!..cause there is a fantastic little program that aids 56kers to make BT the best dload program around if the file you want is on BT..and as long as the seed remains on long enuf to dload for 56kers..so the more 56k users that find this pro the more they will stay loyal to BT...long live the little guys!!!
    And would this program allow you to download from BT without having to uplaod at all. Thus stealing massive amounts of bandwidth from people with high speed connnections.

Schmiggy_JK23 make a very impressive point and is correct in saying so.

However you've got to give the 56k people credit, how many people do you know that would wait 4 days for a movie? it wouldnt be me anyways.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    dont like 56k, if they ant afford £10 more a month to have faster dl's and not have people slate them so much, then they shouldnt dl.

if u smoke, just quit them u could get a meg a sec for amount of money u waste on cigs

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@4 July 2003 - 03:32

I agree with what your saying and i have noticed a drop in download speeds using BT lately.There are quite a few BT clients now that allow you to limit your upload speed,the more people that get them and use them will also surely lower the general speeds.As the original BT client doesn't allow you to do this.

I might have to give some private not well known trackers a try.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    yup, the fasttracker that the klite people have running, props to wizz and nahan seems to be pretty solid so far.

but when you think about it, when we first started using bt, we would connect to say 40 people.. almost all being Broadband... now its we connect to 40 peers, and half are dial up, that just trashes the upload speeds.

56kers! Go to klite or irc! or buy broad band! lol.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Originally posted by yyiryyib@4 July 2003 - 17:44
    dont like 56k, if they ant afford £10 more a month to have faster dl's and not have people slate them so much, then they shouldnt dl.

if u smoke, just quit them u could get a meg a sec for amount of money u waste on cigs
    god dam some ppl are so narrow minded i wonder how they make a turn at any corner....some ppl on 56k just have no foolin god dam choice...the broadband service may just not be foolin available in the area for shoes sake ...

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    ye i have also noticed a decrease in bt speeds.
    darn its pi55in me off

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast