Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony's Excellent Marketing (ps3 Info)

when xbox and gamecube are 5 or 6 years old they'll have a huge library of blockbuster games to....

but yea, it was a good idea of sony to make they're systems backwards compatible. its kind of common sense if you ask me.

xbox 2 is supposedly backwards compatible, it hasn't been confirmed though. if people would put the same time and effort into xbox as they did with the ps2 (which is harder to program for than the xbox, i dont know exactly why but i heard it was cause xbox is very similar to a high end pc) but people are starting to realize the power of the xbox and are making waaay better games for it than they were before. look at halo 1, then halo 2. huge difference once people get into the system.

ps3 will be cool to. i dont understand why they released psx though, its just a ps2 with a few more capabilities that the ps3 is supposed to come with. so whats the point in getting a psx? i'm planning on getting xbox 2 and ps3. i'm not a "fanboy" of either one. i like all systems cause they all have strong points and weak points. most people only get mad when you talk down on another system cause when you put down a system you're saying to that person they're dumb for buying it and that is kind of insulting.

2. Games   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by FrStyleKing@5 July 2003 - 08:17
    i dont understand why they released psx though, its just a ps2 with a few more capabilities that the ps3 is supposed to come with. so whats the point in getting a psx?
    Sony isn't expecting people who already own a PS2 to go out and buy a PSX (although I'm sure some freakish people will do just that ). People are still buying PS2s, and when PSX is released, it'll replace the current PS2 model (that's my thought anyway).

You do realize that the DVD drivers in the current batch of PS2s aren't the same as the ones that came with the first batch, right? Well, the PSX is the same thing, just a little more pronounced. It's not a new system; more like a replacement with some of the previous add-ons integrated into it.

3. Games   -   #13
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Ok first of all backwards capablity for the PS3 was annoced a year ago so it not an insider tip.

Second IBM Co-op with Nvidia in making graphic chip this.

Third IBM is working with the Microsoft & Sony to make a graphics card in there systems. This means there really wont be much differance in the chip ( depends on who pays more -coagh- -coagh- -microsoft- but really i hope sony pays more ) but if they do have the same chip that will suck for Microsoft because there no compintion also the chip in the PS3 is call Cell.

Forth most of you will like this HDD will be standard same with a 56k modem not confirmend but the may push it to ISDN 128k modem also broadband capabilty.

The DVD will get an up grade as will, the feature to play VCD ( microsoft will most likely not include VCD capabilty ), DVD-R/DVD-RW (the PS3 and xbox 2 will not have recording capabilty sorry but dont suspect that any time soon). Hopefully PS3 will learn Divx as gamecube did ( great idea Nintendo i give you cudos for that lol i am not britsh)

New names, Sony says PS3 will not be the name, same for Microsofts Xbox 2.

HAY what that internet surfing will they learn from the DreamCast i do hope so.

Also i hope to see a connect that comes standard too like Plug-in-Play so we can make screen shots alot easier.

Thats all for now to much to type

4. Games   -   #14
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@5 July 2003 - 07:53
    right... cuz your buddy buddy with a insider at japan sony? lol
    I have a few "friend's" in japan, but I can't get into! I can't even say how or who I got it from there would be some job's on the line if I did. But you can choose not to beleave my thats your choice all I have to say is wait and see.

5. Games   -   #15
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Its not a secret sony said that PS3 will be able to play PS1 and PS2 game they said that right after they said PS3 will be released late 2005 so those people at if there is any will not lose there jobs -k-

6. Games   -   #16
    I highly doubt the fact that this will be an easy win for the playstation 3, nintendo and microsoft will not let them get ahead of the market this time, sony are going to have to compete for once.

7. Games   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by tHe LiNk@5 July 2003 - 12:46
    I highly doubt the fact that this will be an easy win for the playstation 3, nintendo and microsoft will not let them get ahead of the market this time, sony are going to have to compete for once.
    Yeah, it's like that old saying... "Beat me once, shame on you. Beat me twice, shame on me. Beat me three ti-- oh, wait..."

Paraphrased, of course...

8. Games   -   #18
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Hey folks please read read read. The PS3, PlaystationNext or whatever it will be called WILL NOT PLAY PS1 GAMES. It will play PS2. Just because Sony announced something a year ago does not mean their marketing plans won't change. Marketingwise this is very smart. Consumerwise this sucks ass. As I said before the Xbox 2 or NextBox (whatever) better be backward compatible or

The PSX:
    DVD recorder
    satellite tuner
    120 GB TIVO style recorder
    ethernet port
    USB 2.0
    Memory Stick slot
    it comes to Japan before the end of the year
    and US and Europe in 2004
    and I will buy one IF it's the right price NOT for Playstation shit but for everything else
    Alot of people when buying the PS2 thought logically. If you factored in how much a DVD player cost at the time, hell you were getting the game part of the machine for $100 (from $300) which was not bad. This will be ALMOST the same for the PSX hopefully. The problem is I wouldn't spend even $100 extra for a PS2 now so they will have to be carefull on the PSX price.

The PSP
    4.5" widescreen backlit LCD
    2.4" optical ROM disc in a cartridge called a UMD(Universal Media Disc)(holds 1.8GB)
    headphone jack
    MPEG 4 compression for video
    USB 2.0
    Memory Stick slot
    rechargable lithium-ion battery
    not due till the end of 2004

The PS2.2
    built-in network adaptor
    built-in remote receiver
    quieter fan
    progressive scan playback
    READS RECORDABLE DVD
    QUESTION: IF IT READS RECORDABLE DVD,

I SHOULDN'T NEED A MOD CHIP TO PLAY BURNED GAMES ON DVD RIGHT??
    ANYONE????
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. Games   -   #19
    First, yes, you'll need a mod chip to play burned DVD games. Any time you burn a game, it does not carry the country code, nor any of the security features. Thus the reason for the mod chip.

Also, the "PSX" isn't the PS3. I don't know where you guys are getting this from. This is a quote from a news article about the PSX and the PSP:

"Sony has confirmed two interim gaming and entertaining products prior to the release of Playstation 3.

PSX is an enhanced DVD / HD product based on the PS2 Chipset. It will sport various features such as high speed communications and multimedia facilities to make it an all in digital entertainment device.

PSP is a portable hand-held multimedia gaming device that will lie somewhere between Nintendo's SP and Apple's iPod. It seems Sony are keen to make an imprint on the digital lifestyle / convergence market!"

You can also go to the following link for more information about the PSX, which WILL have DVD recording capabilities.
    http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/ebusiness...20274926,00.htm

It has been reported in several locations that PS1 support will not be included with the PS3. This is sort of expected, seeing as how the PS1 games would be so old by that time anyways. In order to play PS1 games on the PS2, sony had to basicly include the PS1 inside the PS2. There is a small section of the PS2 that is essentually a PS1 emulator. The PS3 would have to contain both a PS1 and PS2 emulator to run both sets of games. And by the time the PS3 is released, demand for PS1 games will be too low for them to bother. Anyone wanting to play PS1 games by that time will probably be able to pick up a PS1 for $20.

As far as when it's going to be released, I'm not sure. I have customers come in every week and ask if I've heard when the PS3 will be released. I have a couple of employees who constantly scour the web for any information about the release. So far, best guess is 2005. Though there are rumors that we'll see a demonstration of the CELL processor by the middle of 2004, which could very well mean a christmas '04 release.

Speaking of the CELL processor, Microsoft and Nintendo will probably remain batteling for second place when the new generation of consoles make their debut. If the CELL processor is even half of what Sony is claiming, consoles and PCs alike are in for a major change. The chip is rumored to be able to make 1 teraflop of processes per second. That's 1 TRILLION operations per second. Almost one hundred times the capabilities of a P4 3ghz or AMD equivelent. That's a lot of power.

As far as current superiority is concerned, try to keep in mind what console came first. Xbox and GC may be superior to the PS2, but that's because the PS2 was released a good year before the other two. Sony did a damn good job with the technology that was available when designing the PS2. But because they started their design process so early, they missed out on a lot of advancements. Everyone is so quick to jump on the Xbox bandwagon because of superior graphics. That's like comparing the super nintendo to the PS1. They are different generations of consoles. The only reason they are grouped together is because there is no other consoles to fall into the PS2's catagory. Microsoft and Nintendo made a smart move by waiting for Sony to release their console. They ensured that they had superior hardware. Only downside is that now Sony has a strong game base, and a very loyal following.

Anyways, there's my two cents...

10. Games   -   #20
    Poster
    Originally posted by NCAzrael@5 July 2003 - 16:46
    Also, the "PSX" isn't the PS3.  I don't know where you guys are getting this from.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone in this thread ever said it was...

Also, about the PS3... I believe someone at Sony commented that RAM just isn't fast enough for what the PS3 is being designed to pull off. They're also having manufacturing problems with the Cell processor, which is why the hopeful demonstration of it in May (or March, I can't remember) of next year is a big deal if it actually happens.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast