Thread: More Ghz

i'm really new to the hardware topics so bare with me.
    i have a 1.7ghz computer

i want a faster speed what do i need to upgrade?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    if you mean a faster speed processor than you need a new mother board, otherwise ram

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    u mean a new processor like inteal p4 2.4ghz for example. cant i just buy one of these chips and install that or do i have to change my motherboard

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    BANNED
    the chips you are talking about is ram, how much do you have right now and what is your os (operating system) and for processors yes its a mother board like you said

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    512 ddr
    windows xp home

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    BANNED
    and what is the problem with speed then, looks like you should be alright

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    BANNED
    Originally posted by hotindew@4 July 2003 - 11:26
    u mean a new processor like inteal p4 2.4ghz for example. cant i just buy one of these chips and install that or do i have to change my motherboard
    YE u most prob could just find out what motherboad u have and then u can find out
    the max cpu u can install..ur ram(random access memory)should b fine thou

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Or u could overclock it

Edit:
    More ram would probably be the easiest way to get some speed improvement out of your puter. If u know what motherboard u have or have the manual, check out the fastest processor it can handle and how much ram it can handle. Maybe post back with either the motherboard type or its max FSB, CPU and Ram settings/capabilities and people may be able to give u a better idea. Theres also some programs (someone posted one in the 'new processor' topic) which can tell u what kind of ram and stuff u have so that can get a better idea of what kind (and therefore cost) u need.