Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: fantasy books

Read His Dark materials series ... It is fun

2. Lounge   -   #32
    SAM's Avatar Fst philosopher BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    reading malzan books was a great journey it's great epic
    but still i can't find the links for susanne clarke books
    plz help me

For Serving Community

3. Lounge   -   #33
    arbaal's Avatar Poster
    the lies of locke lamora by scott lynch - that's the last i've read and was really entertaining.

don't know if you like warhammer world but even if not try dan abnett - won't disappoint you.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    SAM's Avatar Fst philosopher BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    i got susanne clark novel at last but it was disappointing
    i read 3 chapters and i couldn't force my self to complete it
    this novel isn't that good
    any other suggestions

For Serving Community

5. Lounge   -   #35
    where are the suggestions ppl

For Serving Community

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    A Song of Fire and Ice series by George R.R. Martin

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

7. Lounge   -   #37
    thanks but i already read it

For Serving Community

8. Lounge   -   #38
    ceriltheblade
    Well, the lists are long and varied for sure. I personally started with the nebulla and hugo awards and chose according to the book. Currently I am reading an excellent albeit older series called "theives world" editied by Robert Aspirin. There are 12 books in the series and it is a collection of short stories of the same universe/characters from different points of view. I like them so far. 1-thieves world; 2-tales from the vulgar unicorn; 3-shadows of sanctuary; 4-storm season; 5-face of chaos; 6-wings of omen; 7-dead of winter; 8-soul of the city; 9- blood ties; 10-aftermath; 11-uneasy alliances; 12-stealer's sky.

In regards to modern spooky fantasy - the king in my opinion is still Ray Bradbury. "Something Wicked this Way comes still gives me shivers.

For pulp fantasy, Terry Brooks in his long Shannarah series is ok. A bit darker than the pulp fiction of Eddings, and the later the book was written the darker it gets. Hence I tend to like the later ones.

Louise Cooper (will be difficult to find for DL) has an interesting trilogy called the time master which has a great twist in regards to the play of good vs. evil. 1-the initiate; 2-the outcast; 3-the master.

Stephen Donaldson's white gold weilder duo trilogy series is a must. A new trilogy has been started, but I haven't read a single volume of those yet.

If you happen to like D&D, you can try to find Gary Gygax's "gord the rogue" series. I have yet to see it in DL format personally. It is relatively pulp fantasy and mostly for fans of D&D IMHO.

I am not sure if Dune qualifies for sci fi or fantasy, but it is an amazing series. DO NOT watch the movie.

Fritz Leiber "fafrhd and the gray mouser" series is quite good for the time it was written and influences so many other writers that I collected them as well. It was nice.

And the last I will mention this time is Gene Wolfe. He is considered excellent, and if you are a non-native English speaker or a native English speaker, his grammar, references and vocabulary will definitely be a challenge. He has some interesting ideas, but be ready to "work" for the story!

In regards to places to DL, have you checked irc? PM me if you have further specific questions.

9. Lounge   -   #39
    thanks man for this great reply

For Serving Community

10. Lounge   -   #40
    erunestian's Avatar Darkness and Wonder BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    If you've read The Silmarillion why don't you continue with the Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings and all the other books by him?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast