Thread: College

Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    So I've decided that I don't want to be an electrician. I've got a great opportunity to become one..but I just cant see myself doing it for the rest of my life. I promised my parents I'd do it for a year..save some money up for any college programs I wanted to do..or if I choose to continue my apprenticeship..for a down payment on a house one day. I've decided that I want to go to college next year for Graphic Design. Its for advertising, magazines..stuff like that. Those posters you see for movies at the theaters..a Graphic Designer made them. Its a 3 year course and I wanted to do it before but I just don't have the money to apply yet.

My question is..does anyone know anyone in this field of work? Do they like it? Jobs?

Thanks.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    So I've decided that I don't want to be an electrician. I've got a great opportunity to become one..but I just cant see myself doing it for the rest of my life. I promised my parents I'd do it for a year..save some money up for any college programs I wanted to do..or if I choose to continue my apprenticeship..for a down payment on a house one day. I've decided that I want to go to college next year for Graphic Design. Its for advertising, magazines..stuff like that. Those posters you see for movies at the theaters..a Graphic Designer made them. Its a 3 year course and I wanted to do it before but I just don't have the money to apply yet.

My question is..does anyone know anyone in this field of work? Do they like it? Jobs?

Thanks.
    I think you will need to attend college as part of your electrical apprenticeship. Take the chance while you are there to check on their Graphic Design facilities and whether you can maybe fit in a couple of evening classes in the meantime.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    I dont have to do that for a long time..but yeah. I think I'm going to have to make an appointment with someone soon and ask a few questions.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    JordoR's Avatar Madden Champ!
    http://www.artinstitutes.edu/vancouver/

That's a highly regarded Graphic design school in vancouver. I once went on a tour to EA Games and a lot of the graphic designers in there went to this school, and a lot of high end companies have ties with this school.

Only downside to any good school like this is of course the dollars though.
    Peter: Excuse me, is your refrigerator running?
    Because if it is, it probably runs like you - very homosexually.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Yeah..I don't really want to get into video games at all..I'm looking more at the advertising/magazine layout/ ad campaign..side of it. I'm thinking I'm going to apply to Seneca or Durham College..Durham has a really good program apparently, one of the better ones in Canada.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Yeah..I don't really want to get into video games at all..I'm looking more at the advertising/magazine layout/ ad campaign..side of it. I'm thinking I'm going to apply to Seneca or Durham College..Durham has a really good program apparently, one of the better ones in Canada.
    If that is the case it is more Desk Top Publishing course you should be looking at.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    If that is the case it is more Desk Top Publishing course you should be looking at.
    Bona fide advice, truth.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Rockin to the beat BT Rep: +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65
    as for affording college there are usually many grants and scholarships you can find. I practically went through college for free!

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    My impression of graphic design is that there are jobs available for the best of them, but it's tough getting established unless you've been making graphics as a hobby and have some particular style to sell.

Of course, if it gets you going, work your a*$ off to get there.