Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Euthanasia

Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by clocker+6 July 2003 - 16:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 6 July 2003 - 16:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-billyfridge@5 July 2003 - 16:54
    i do believe in
    euthanasia, provided a panel of responsible people were to to weigh the pro&#39;s&nbsp;
    and cons. and members of the bleeding hearts brigade were kept out.
    This attitude seems like fencesitting of the most advanced order.

I saw some similar replies in the (now regrettably locked) abortion thread.

Either topic seems to me to be a highly personal decision.
    Either you believe that a person has the right to make that decision or they don&#39;t.

In both cases- I do.

Leave the committees, panels, other &#39;responsible&#39; people out of it. [/b][/quote]
    Ditto - The choice of euthanasia should only be given to the person who the choice is about.

Maybe I&#39;m being harsh, but I seriously question the interests of those who have nothing to do with a terminal person yet feel that they have a duty to be fully against the choice.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Poster
    I think the only person to decide this issue is someone who is dying.
    So I have to leave it up to them and as that means some people will chose to commit suicide then I am in faviour of if it being made legal.

The dilema to me is how do you administer control over the process.

Neil.

Edit grammar

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    For it, but I believe those who "help" (a`la Kevorkian) should not be doctors. Train people, create a new "profession", whatever, but observe the Hypocratic Oath (First, do no harm...); the medical profession doesn&#39;t need to compromise it&#39;s integrity on this specific issue-they&#39;ve got enough other "image" problems.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4,6 July 2003 - 20:43
    For it, but I believe those who "help" (a`la Kevorkian) should not be doctors. Train people, create a new "profession", whatever, but observe the Hypocratic Oath (First, do no harm...); the medical profession doesn&#39;t need to compromise it&#39;s integrity on this specific issue-they&#39;ve got enough other "image" problems.
    [/QUOTE][QUOTE]

Exactly "Do no harm" does also include "Quality of life"

I have made my decision
    If i need to chose to die I will. even if I have to go abroad.

But I still stand by my decision about legality even though im biased.

Even if it is a brand new Proffesion ans long as it doesn&#39;t becom an industry
    Make the laws in advance then?
    I want the right to chose the means of my death.
    If I have to.
    And that&#39;s all.
    nothing more.

Neil.

edit P.S. can I have a "unplug me" clause in my will.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Poster
    Originally posted by Illuminati+6 July 2003 - 16:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Illuminati @ 6 July 2003 - 16:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by clocker@6 July 2003 - 16:08
    <!--QuoteBegin-billyfridge
    @5 July 2003 - 16:54
    i do believe in
    euthanasia, provided a panel of responsible people were to to weigh the pro&#39;s
    and cons. and members of the bleeding hearts brigade were kept out.

This attitude seems like fencesitting of the most advanced order.

I saw some similar replies in the (now regrettably locked) abortion thread.

Either topic seems to me to be a highly personal decision.
    Either you believe that a person has the right to make that decision or they don&#39;t.

In both cases- I do.

Leave the committees, panels, other &#39;responsible&#39; people out of it.
    Ditto - The choice of euthanasia should only be given to the person who the choice is about.

Maybe I&#39;m being harsh, but I seriously question the interests of those who have nothing to do with a terminal person yet feel that they have a duty to be fully against the choice. [/b][/quote]
    Let alone being terminally ill themselves.

Neil

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Originally posted by Neil__@6 July 2003 - 14:50
    That wouldn&#39;t do much good, Neil.

You can have such a wish honored should you become incapacitated; there are various mechanisms for achieving this wish.

Regretfully, I think to make any of them stick, you&#39;d need to consult a lawyer.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by j2k4+6 July 2003 - 21:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 6 July 2003 - 21:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Neil__@6 July 2003 - 14:50

You can have such wish honored should you become incapacitated; there are various mechanisms for achieving this wish.

Regretfully, I think to make any of them stick, you&#39;d need to consult a lawyer. [/b][/quote]
    Dont get me wrong I only ask for a coppout clause because thats my right.
    my country has the right to ask me if I am prepared to die for it and I will make my decision if needed.
    but if I have the right to die for my country.
    why cant I have the right to die if I chose.

Neil.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    I agree with Neil. IMO I believe that I have the right to my own life, and for anyone to tell me that I don&#39;t...well, tough

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Originally posted by Neil__+6 July 2003 - 15:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Neil__ &#064; 6 July 2003 - 15:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by j2k4@6 July 2003 - 21:00
    <!--QuoteBegin-Neil__
    @6 July 2003 - 14:50

You can have such wish honored should you become incapacitated; there are various mechanisms for achieving this wish.

Regretfully, I think to make any of them stick, you&#39;d need to consult a lawyer.
    Dont get me wrong I only ask for a coppout clause because thats my right.
    my country has the right to ask me if I am prepared to die for it and I will make my decision if needed.
    but if I have the right to die for my country.
    why cant I have the right to die if I chose.

Neil.[/b][/quote]
    Neil-

An "unplug me" clause would do you no good if it were in your will, you see?

If you&#39;re dead enough to need a will, you&#39;re too dead to require unplugging.

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Poster
    Then look at it like a prenup but for wills
    read that bit when the shit happens and read the rest when my plugs have been pulled.

Neil

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast