Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: Are you a racist?

Quote Originally Posted by Brenya View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxOverlord View Post
    How about we are all addressed as Earthens.
    Look guys, there are very noticeable genetic differences between each race: Causasian, Asian, and African; and all the ethnic groups in between. In other words, they are not biologically equal. That being said, it is reasonable to conclude that some races are better at some things, and worse at others.

That is not to say that because of a races genetic inferiorities (which were, might I add, brought about by their environment/nutrition/cultures), they should not be given equal rights.

So I do recognize the genetic differences; however, I'm no racist when it comes to each human's unalienable rights as citizens of a libertarian state.

Could you give us some examples of these inferiorities?

I can think of one.... Glow in the dark white people have a greater chance of getting skin cancer than, say, someone from Greece or Italy.

Is that where you were going?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #102
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify
    Look guys, there are very noticeable genetic differences between each race: Causasian, Asian, and African; and all the ethnic groups in between. In other words, they are not biologically equal. That being said, it is reasonable to conclude that some races are better at some things, and worse at others.

That is not to say that, because of a race's genetic inferiorities or superiorities, they should not be given equal rights.

So I do recognize the genetic differences; however, I'm no racist when it comes to each human's unalienable rights as citizens of a libertarian state.

That was a joke. Read the previous posts.
    You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing..... Descartes

3. The Drawing Room   -   #103
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened

That is not to say that, because of a race's genetic inferiorities or superiorities, they should not be given equal rights.

That was a joke. Read the previous posts.
    A joke?

In The Drawing Room?

Fie on you, sir, for sullying our snobbery.

Why, it's just not allowed, and well you know it.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #104
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    The genetic diversity between different africans (without including boer) is sometimes bigger than that between asians and caucasians. In fact, it's entirely possible that inside of the "black" african population, you could find individuals more different from each other than one of them might be from the average caucasian, on a genetic level.

It's in general not safe to say that any "race" would be better than any other at anything, going by genetics alone.*

The only thing you can be absolutely sure of there, if we are to make blanket statements, is that people with different skin tones differ in how the sun affects their skin, as someone else already mentioned.

Even if it was possible to say that you could distinguish between different "races" inside of the human (homo sapiens sapiens) race once upon a time, or even today, on a genetic level, that'd soon enough be a thing of the past what with population drift and mutations.

EDit: *Unless you were referring to us versus neanderthals, which I mentioned before, in which case we are decidedly better at blowing stuff up.
    Last edited by Snee; 09-16-2007 at 11:40 PM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #105
    @Snee:
    I'm not a geneticist; I can't respond. For the record I was only speculating with minimal knowledge about genetic mutation. You're welcome to do some research on the topic. I don't have time

6. The Drawing Room   -   #106
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I'm not one either, but what I wrote above was something of what I remember from biology class in sixth form, and the teacher I had there later got headhunted, like, by my uni, so I reckon he had a clue.

Have a look at the wikipedia article if you are interested. It brings up some of what I remember, there's an ongoing debate on how to define race in human beings.

Personally I'm a follower of defining all of us as the last human race, obviously.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011