Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do Private Trackers Generally Allow Multiple Accounts to Use the Same IP Address?

My intuition says "no, of course not! what are you, a dumbass!?" Anyone with half a brain can realize that it leads to potential cheating. On one account, you could mainly download stuff, just barely maintaining the minimum ratio requirement. And on the other account, you can seed all of the torrents that you previously downloaded with the first account - thereby easily attaining power user status.

However, I cannot help but notice the problems that arise out of not allowing this. What about huge LANs, such as colleges and universities. To the WAN, each computer in the LAN has the same IP address. So would a private tracker only allow one account per LAN?

If this is to prevent users on smaller LANs from sharing their torrents with each other and in effect cheating the ratio system, couldn't you just as easily share torrents with your neighbor, or you friend from another neighborhood? So that isn't very effective.

On the other hand, there could be a way for private trackers to both allow accounts to share the same IP address by monitoring the accounts closely for things like seeding torrents that wasn't downloaded by that account.

Did I just answer my own question, or is there still more to this that I haven't realized?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Me and a buddy have a seedbox. We both seed to all the same sites and have never had a problem.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    splash's Avatar <3 BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Multiple accounts of the same IP are usually NEVER allowed. That as you say would be considered cheating as having multiple accounts is against the rules.

Also, this should be in the Bittorrent section not the Bittorrent invites section.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    RaPPeR's Avatar (¯\( o_0)/¯) BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    On one account, you could mainly download stuff, just barely maintaining the minimum ratio requirement. And on the other account, you can seed all of the torrents that you previously downloaded with the first account - thereby easily attaining power user status.
    That kinda shit you can do with 2 tracker . from the first one, that you care less , you dl , and from the second one , you upload .
    this is what alot of ppls do.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    splash's Avatar <3 BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by RaPPeR View Post
    On one account, you could mainly download stuff, just barely maintaining the minimum ratio requirement. And on the other account, you can seed all of the torrents that you previously downloaded with the first account - thereby easily attaining power user status.
    That kinda shit you can do with 2 tracker . from the first one, that you care less , you dl , and from the second one , you upload .
    this is what alot of ppls do.
    Exactly.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Yeah many files from private trackers I have found to be on demonoid and such.
    And posting in the invites sections was a bad move on my part - oops.

Quote Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
    Me and a buddy have a seedbox. We both seed to all the same sites and have never had a problem.
    I'm confused.. can you clarify? Are you talking about 3 accounts, two accounts, or just 1.

Quote Originally Posted by character View Post
    Multiple accounts of the same IP are usually NEVER allowed. That as you say would be considered cheating as having multiple accounts is against the rules.
    Then why can I not explicitly find a rule stating that in any of the private trackers I belong to?
    Last edited by Brenya; 09-08-2007 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Look harder. If it doesnt say ask the staff. They will tell you it's against the rules.

I promise you, multiple accounts is an easy way to get a ban. Some sites even protect against this and if you are trying to signup again from the same ip it wont allow you to do so.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    My friend and i many times logged into trackers from my comp, i mean from the same ip. Bt nothing happened except for one, ie iplay. My account was disabled and his survived. lol

Even the biggest tv tracker (don't want to mention name here) has no probs logging from the same ip till now. But what i guess is, the fact that we aren't cheating and just logging into 2 accounts using the same ip will not get it deleted. I guess, no tracker allows using multiple accounts from the same ip, the system delets it automatically in some trackers like TL. There are also some technical explanations only a mod or admn can provide, as there are some things like there is some particular period for which a tracker keeps the same ip in some trackers.

In one word, you can't use 2 accounts from the same ip cause you are cheating the tracker. Then why such a long proxy check when you sign up?

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    sperm's Avatar lol BT Rep: +1
    oink allows more than 1 account on the same ip

Can I invite my friend to the site, who is on the same IP as me?

Sure. Be warned though, if either you or your friend get into ratio trouble (or cheat), the other's account will fall under heavy suspicion. As long as both of you are careful to abide by our ratio rules and to not cheat, both of you should be able to use your account with no problems.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by daveed View Post
    oink allows more than 1 account on the same ip

Can I invite my friend to the site, who is on the same IP as me?

Sure. Be warned though, if either you or your friend get into ratio trouble (or cheat), the other's account will fall under heavy suspicion. As long as both of you are careful to abide by our ratio rules and to not cheat, both of you should be able to use your account with no problems.
    That is also supposed to be a 'friend'. Not yourself. It doesnt say its allowed to have more than one account yourself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast