Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Should I Install Windows Xp?

jakert50's Avatar Poster
    Here's what I say:

Windows 9x -- Don't even think about it. They were good for a time, but the new OS's are so much better.

Windows ME -- Again, don't even consider it. Windows ME is just Windows 98 on weak steroids. All MS did was throw some patches together and called it "ME." I've used ME at school, and it's more trouble than it's worth. Too many bugs.

Windows 2000 -- Extremely well-developed OS. I have Windows 2000 installed on a 233 MHz PC with 128 MB of ram and it actually runs very nicely. I actually think it runs better than Windows 98, but that's my opinion. Many good features, and it doesn't crash.

Windows XP -- This is only my opinion, but I personally think XP kicks butt. I've used XP for 13 months now and it has only crashed once (but even then, it was only because I was running a game that had a patch for Windows XP, but I hadn't installed it yet.) And if you are worried about game compatibility for XP, just run the Compatability Wizard and it will fix it for you. XP has all the features of 2000, and even more.

Final Thoughts:
    I really think you should limit your choices to 2000 and XP. 2000 will run better for lower-end machines, while XP will run excellently on higher-end machines (500 or better, I think). Just make sure you have enough ram (256 or more is almost a requirement. XP says 128 will work. Well, don't even try it. It brings a 1.8 GHz PC to it's knees.) I would recommend XP. However, if you don't want XP, go with 2000. Even if you do go with 2000, you won't be missing much. There's just a few features you'll be missing, and if you're that desperate to get the themes available in XP, just download WindowBlinds and install the "XP Luna" theme. Then it will look just like XP (download ObjectBar and install the XP Start Menu--then you'll have the ultimate XP-wannabe machine )

Well, I hope this was somewhat useful. Good luck in choosing!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    jakert50's Avatar Poster
    [quote]Originally posted by MeMeMeSoHony@5 July 2003 - 23:32
    brotherdoobie , you seem to be very wise when it comes to computers. Tell us why Windows ME is a "no no" , please!
    If you can't see me , then why do you stare at me?
    Sorry, I'm not brotherdoobie, but I do consider myself to be "computer-wise".

Here's just a few problems I have found with Windows ME:

the _RESTORE folder
    The _RESTORE folder, which is found on C:\, is a major problem. That folder was designed for the system restore feature (which also stinks in ME only). The major problem here is this folder can take anywhere from 2GB of space to over 20GB!!! A friend of mine had a problem with his ME machine, so I looked at it ran Norton AntiVirus 2000, which said that there were mutiple instances of the "Sircam" virus there, but it couldn't delete it or quarantine it because that folder is untouchable. You can't just delete it's contents. Even if you try to disable system restore, it still runs and won't allow you to delete that waste-of-space-folder.

Freezeing when deleting large amounts of files
    Just is just a common problem that doesn't exist in any other Windows version. When you try to delete a large amount of files, the computer will grind to a halt and require a reboot. I don't know why this happens, and I don't know how it is caused. It just does. And that isn't exactly a feature Microsoft wanted in ME.

Where's the drivers?
    The computers I have at home used to run Windows 98 SE (now they run 2K). When I was in high school, the computers ran Windows ME. One thing I noticed is that ME lacked the driver database Windows 98 SE had. I found that most (about 75%) of the drivers that weren't found in the Windows ME driver database could be found in the Windows 98 SE database. How does that make sense? Fortunately, Windows 2000 fixed that error by having every driver known to man when it was released. Thank goodness for common sense.

It's still DOS! ME still runs on DOS!!
    Don't listen to them! No matter what they say, Windows ME still operates under the Windows 9x architecture, which means the core is DOS. They try to hide it, but when Windows ME is loading, press Esc and you'll see the DOS-in-the-background. Because of this, the BSOD is still that old-style Windows 9x BSOD, and not the new Windows 2K-based BSOD. If you think Windows 2000/XP is DOS based, then you're wrong. DOS isn't even crutial to the system anymore. When the computer starts, it does some memory manipulation stuff and loads new environments on top of itself until the environment is suitable enough to run and support a Windows environment.

Windows ME architecture
    When I look at Windows ME, all I see is (1) basically Windows 98 SE with all the updates from Windows Update, a different background color, new icons, and new sounds, and (2) a cheap opportunity for MS to get some extra cash. And I'm serious, too. ME is nothing but an attempt to gain some extra cash. That's not necessarily the case for all Windows! All other OS's have alot of new security features, OS features, and entertainment features. Windows ME was basically "Hey, let's re-release Windows 98 with all the updates and patches we have so far, create a few new ones, change some colors, add new sounds, and make the icons look like Windows 2000." I'll give credit to ME for one item: System Restore. However, the System Restore in Windows ME doesn't work well at all, if anyone has tried it. Everytime I have used it, it either makes the computer run alot slower, generates more errors, or just doesn't work at all because it says "There were no changes made to your system."

To sum it all up, I really don't see why there are still users of Windows ME out there. Windows 2000 is so much more stable, and only requires a little more CPU power. As I stated before, 2000 runs on a 233 MHz POS!!! It's really worth the upgrade, especially if you're sick and tired of the freezing and unstable-ness of Windows ME. And if you're a gamer, just take the worthwhile leap to XP. 2000 is great, but I don't think it's the best of operating systems for gaming, because that's not exactly what it was designed for. Games will run, but they will probably run better on XP. And if your system is too slow to run XP, perhaps you should get a new PC because if you're getting XP for the games, then you'll need a fast computer for the games anyway.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    Poster

hi there !
    i'm using XP Pro corp and it works great on my pc
    which i think is about the same as Ambush333.
    550mhz processor
    512mb sdram
    pentium 111
    regards
    m8t

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    Poster
    Fortunately, Windows 2000 fixed that error by having every driver known to man when it was released. Thank goodness for common sense.
    ???

It has a few network drivers that win98SE didn't have but other than that.. ?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    [quote]Originally posted by jakert50@6 July 2003 - 01:32
    Quote Originally Posted by MeMeMeSoHony,5 July 2003 - 23:32
    brotherdoobie , you seem to be very wise when it comes to computers. Tell us why Windows ME is a "no no" , please!
    If you can't see me , then why do you stare at me?
    Sorry, I'm not brotherdoobie, but I do consider myself to be "computer-wise".

Here's just a few problems I have found with Windows ME:

the _RESTORE folder
    The _RESTORE folder, which is found on C:\, is a major problem. That folder was designed for the system restore feature (which also stinks in ME only). The major problem here is this folder can take anywhere from 2GB of space to over 20GB!!! A friend of mine had a problem with his ME machine, so I looked at it ran Norton AntiVirus 2000, which said that there were mutiple instances of the "Sircam" virus there, but it couldn't delete it or quarantine it because that folder is untouchable. You can't just delete it's contents. Even if you try to disable system restore, it still runs and won't allow you to delete that waste-of-space-folder.

The System Restore feature serves the same function in Windows XP
    as in Windows ME.

If files become infected (such as a virus) then you have to disable
    system restore,disinfect,reboot,and turn system restore back on.

To disable system restore in Windows ME

1.Close all running programs.
    2.Right click My Computer>Properties
    3.Click the Performance tab>click the File System>click the Troubleshooting tab.
    4.Check disable system restore,click ok and then close
    5.Click yes to restart.

This disables the system restore function and will purge the contents of the
    restore folder,when the system is restarted. Run your anti-virus program or
    removal tool.

Please make sure your anti-virus progam is set to scan all files and drives.
    and then scan the computer.
    If your scan comes up clean then enable system restore.

As far as system restore (the restore points) taking up space you can change
    that.

1.Right click My Computer>Properties
    2.Select the Performance tab
    3.Click the File System button
    4.On the Hard Disk tab adjust the System Restore Disk space use slider to the prefered size.(reducing the disk space used by system restore may reduce exsisting restore points)

Peace brotherdoobie B)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    I think windows 2000 is very nice

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    but few errors in windows 2000

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    don't want windows 98

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    Out of The Ordinary
    Sorry but WTF is this all about?
    Are You gonna keep on posting like this till christmas?

BOT

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    Poster
    Originally posted by Ambush333@5 July 2003 - 22:42
    not right now but somehow later.
    think you like to waist people time just to acumulate posts . As [B][O][T] said........Sorry but WTF is this all about.?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast