Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tacky tabloid news

Have you ever found yourself engrossed in a completely tacky newstory?

With all the new crap about Anna Nicole Smith and those two goober leeches, I was reminded that I actually watched a lot of the what to do with her body hearings.

I should be ashamed.... but I aint

2. Lounge   -   #2
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    I publicly condemn it...but I must admit I get some of those celebrity gossip mags free from work for my wife and I can't help but reading them

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I am a grumpy old man and invariably find the inane prurience of the tabloids sends my blood pressure into orbit. Consequently, I try to avoid putting my body through such rigours.

I do occasionally dip into Fox News. I find 5 minutes of Fred Barnes and Charles Krauthammer (sp?) is enough to confirm my political prejudices and stimulate at least an hour's rant as to why they could not be more wrong even if they had gone to the shops to buy a bargain bucket of wrong. I don't do this too often though as it is rather time consuming.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. Lounge   -   #4
    elitist_fuck's Avatar R.A.P.E.ist
    It is a little more than coincidence that you mentioned fox news here.

What many don't realize, is that fox news is entertainment news, not real news. It's not so different than tabloid news, but they are masters of deceit, and present it in such a way as to hide that fact.

Most "sensationalist" type tabloids are dual-layered. On the first layer, we see the very transparent gossip based news reporting we all know and love. Hoaxes to wonder and laugh at.

The first layer fits the criteria of the usual hoax, which is fiction presented as fact

The second layer, which is not always present depending on the tabloid, usually goes unnoticed by the average person.

The second layer is the reversal of the usual hoax. It is fact presented as fiction.

Take the Diana story as an example. http://www.daily-express.co.uk/posts...e-made-public?

They include hardly any facts to back up their allegations, but the theme itself is not so hard to believe, is it? Could it be factual? The key is in the headlines, the story only hints at the truth and stops there.
    Last edited by elitist_fuck; 09-12-2007 at 02:15 PM.
    You aren't worthy.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by elitist_fuck View Post

What many don't realize, is that fox news is entertainment news, not real news. It's not so different than tabloid news, but they are masters of deceit, and present it in such a way as to hide that fact.

Most "sensationalist" type tabloids are dual-layered. On the first layer, we see the very transparent gossip based news reporting we all know and love. Hoaxes to wonder and laugh at.

The first layer fits the criteria of the usual hoax, which is fiction presented as fact

The second layer, which is not always present depending on the tabloid, usually goes unnoticed by the average person.

The second layer is the reversal of the usual hoax. It is fact presented as fiction.

Take the Diana story as an example. http://www.daily-express.co.uk/posts...e-made-public?

They include hardly any facts to back up their allegations, but the theme itself is not so hard to believe, is it? Could it be factual? The key is in the headlines, the story only hints at the truth and stops there.
    ...now look what you've done you've gone and ruined fox news for me, elitist fuck.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    elitist_fuck's Avatar R.A.P.E.ist
    I would be hurt by your insensitive comment if I weren't so elite!
    You aren't worthy.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    I love Paris hilton updates.

Last edited by 100%; 09-18-2007 at 09:18 PM.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by elitist_fuck View Post

It's Americas version of BBC news

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Defy's Avatar Be Kind BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    I publicly condemn it...but I must admit I get some of those celebrity gossip mags free from work for my wife and I can't help but reading them
    Makes for interesting bathroom reading material.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Defy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    Makes for interesting bathroom reading material.
    you've been peering into my bathroom window again haven't you..../reported.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast