Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Delete A Program Completely

Forum Star
    I used to use Animation Shop 3, and waited too long to look for a serial/crack.
    Now the evaluation period is expired, and even when I delete/reinstall it, it still won't work (ofcourse).

I suppose there's some registry hacking needed to remove those last pieces of software.
    If so, can somebody explain me, in very simple words , what to do?

I tried using Norton Utilities' Registry Editor, but I'm a bit scared to screw things up.
    I'm using Windows 98SE, btw.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    It'll still say expired.. something it actually implants into a system file.. orr something.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    go download RegCleaner. It's a tiny app that will display the contents of your registry in a simple way.
    Once you install it, run the program and click on the "Software" button at the top. Look through the list
    for Jasc Animation Shop 3. You can sort the list by software title or author. Click its check box
    then click the "Remove Selected" button at the bottom. That's it.
    That app is also great for clearing your Startup list of stubborn programs.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Forum Star
    Usually some system file or registry entry is used. Only problem is that those always are used in a way that you can't easily find them.

Unless you make a snapshot before installing and after, it is almost impossible to find those entries.

Newest crack I could find (@ Astalavista) is for 3.0.4

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    Sorry for the bump, but speaking of RegCleaner, the author says something like "this program does not allow you to take out system files needed by the os so it's impossible for you to do any real damage with this program". After looking at the entries in RegEditor, it does seem there are some missing in RegCleaner. I am about to have the same problem with tmpgenc and I don't have Norton Ghost or any other imager. I guess my point is does RegCleaner make up for a lack of expertise in the area of the registry? In this case of trying to tell the computer a program(tmpgenc) was never installed, it looks like the only way is to use your advanced knowledge of how to edit system files and/or the registry, neither of which I know how to do. Any thoughts or links?

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Bender, I have the full version of Animation Shop 3, and I found where it keeps all its settings and what not. I can't tell you this will 100% work, but its worth a try.

Make sure its not installed.
    Start, Run, "regedit", OK

At the registry editor:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Software
    Jasc

Delete the folder "Animation Shop 3" and all its entries. Then re-install it. If this doesnt work then there is probibly a file somewhere on your computer telling the program that it has expired. Try this and see what happens.

By the way, Paul I love your avatar. Just had to say that.....

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    nostalgia's Avatar Frequent visitor
    Regcleaner is from the same guy who made JVPowerTools. JVPowerTools contains an even smarter version of Regcleaner. So maybe if the tip from KrackHead2K doesn't work, try cleaning your registry with JVPowerTools. www.jv16.org
    -- They tell me tomorrow will never arrive, but I've seen it end a million times. --

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Forum Star
    In my experience RegCleaner is pretty useless.

You can do exactly the same and more using Regedit without the need for a lot of experience.

HKLM\Software
    KLCU\Software

Within those you can safely delete entries of software that you no longer have.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    nostalgia's Avatar Frequent visitor
    Originally posted by Paul@6 July 2003 - 15:33
    In my experience RegCleaner is pretty useless.

You can do exactly the same and more using Regedit without the need for a lot of experience.

HKLM\Software
    KLCU\Software

Within those you can safely delete entries of software that you no longer have.
    Maybe it is. But a lot of people don't like to edit their registry and the mentioned progs make automatic back-ups (if configured correctly).
    -- They tell me tomorrow will never arrive, but I've seen it end a million times. --

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    First thing you need to do is disable system file protection. I use System Restore Remover Pro to do this, but it only works on Windows Me. I have disabled System Restore, System file Protection and PC Health. This way I have more control over my OS, plus they consume resources and don't work worth a shit anyway. If you are running a different OS you may have to do some research to determine how to disable system file protection. Next, DL Registry Crawler and crack it or buy it so you have a full working version. Make sure all files are visible on you computer. Search your C:\ drive for Jasc and delete all. Search C:\ drive for paint shop and delete all. Search C:\ drive for animation shop and delete all. Start Registry Crawler and make sure all the boxes under where to search are checked. Type Jasc into the search field and hit go. After search is complete type Ctrl/A to select all, and click delete. Repeat this procedure for paint shop and animation shop. This will remove all traces... Reinstall your prefered version of Paint Shop. Sounds pretty lengthly, but it's really not that bad... Anyone who has had experience editing the registry will appreciate the select all feature of Registry Crawler. Software such as Jasc, Nortons etc. can create hundreds of registry entries. Searching and removing one at a time can be a real pain. There may be other registry editing software that can do this, if there is I am unaware of it... Anyone knowing of such, please pass it on. I would be interested. Hope this helps...

P.S. I don't think 98SE has system file protection.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast