Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change your Ip [Cable/Dsl Modem; No Router]

jam0980tr's Avatar jam cakes mmm Lovely
    Alright well try my guide if you have no router, directly connected to your computer and have a cable/dsl modem.

Before doing the below, cmd>ipconfig and right down your ip.

Open start>run>cmd.exe hit enter and type ipconfig/release hit enter again. This will disconnect you from the internet. Once you see you have lost connection, you can close cmd.

Third Step:
    Go to Control Panel>Network and Internet Connections. Right click your connection and hit properties.

Fourth Step:
    Now click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties. Click use the following Ip address and fill the first field with all 1's and then hit tab once. Hit ok 2 times to exit out the windows.

Fith Step:
    Right click your connection again, hit properties, bring up the Internet Protocol again and this time click obtain an Ip address automatically. Dont forget to click the bottom circle button as well. Hit ok twice to close both windows.

You should be connected again. check cmd>ipconfig and compare it with the one you wrote down. You should have a new ip. If not too bad.
    Down-Speed Up-Speed
    Proud 2 Be a Member Of 0sec Tmp3

2. Guides and Tutorials   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    does this give you a completely new ip address or ip range?

3. Guides and Tutorials   -   #3
    OTO's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Quote Originally Posted by koekie View Post
    does this give you a completely new ip address or ip range?
    good question

4. Guides and Tutorials   -   #4
    freedom's Avatar Kizuna ^^ BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    well imo this guide it's work only if you don't have a static ip address, and if your isp are using a dhcp server and in this way probably you will get only a new ip from the same range.

5. Guides and Tutorials   -   #5
    DanielleD87's Avatar bunny
    there is an easier way. it works only for dynamic ip addresses:
    go to your router config page. for example my linksys router config page is http://192.168.1.1
    go to a section that says mac address change or spoof. turn it on and type in a random mac address.
    reboot your modem after you change your routers mac address and your ip will change. sometimes people can not get online at that point so they have to reboot their router as well.

6. Guides and Tutorials   -   #6
    Living on the edge BT Rep: +4
    if it doesn't change ur ip range then its of no use and what is the benefit of changing ip.

7. Guides and Tutorials   -   #7
    Typically, it depends on how long the ISP caches your mac address if you are going get a new IP address. To finish the 1st post, instead of putting in a static IP and then changing it back to DHCP just hit your up arrow in the CMD prompt and backspace the "ipconfig /release" and make it "ipconfig /renew". This might issue you a new Public IP address if you are not getting a Private IP from your router. DanielleD87 above does have the fix if the ISP is caching you Mac addresss.

8. Guides and Tutorials   -   #8
    In response to DanielleD87's post, I also have a lynksys router but everytime I put in the default ip it asks for a user name & password. I tried using what I use for my internet log-in but that doesn't work. I don't use a password for my computer & never set one up for the modem. Can anyone help me out with this problem, comcast is killing me here. Thanks!

9. Guides and Tutorials   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by dave12 View Post
    if it doesn't change ur ip range then its of no use and what is the benefit of changing ip.
    Thats why it is of benifit, apperantly it forces your isps DHCP server to assign you a new address. Although I cannot vouch for this method (hardcoding the address in tcp/ip properties and attempting to force the mdm to give you a static address), I can vouch for the method described by 'DanielleD87'. Although this does not work with my ISP as when I want to change devices I have to call them and make them clear my ARP manually and then it will work fine, other wise i just get a 169. from the mdm. Some services (provided they are DHCP) will give you a new ip address if the mdm believes a different device is connected to it (for cbl mdms anyway) I personally deal with this on a daily basis as I work for rogers. If you go from say having a rtr connected and you do a direct connect to your pc then it assigns you a different ip, as for the range it is in, this depends on availability, if for instance your previous address was in the 74.xx.xx.xx range and you connect a new device or spoof your mac whatever, you may or may not get a 74. xx.xx.xx You may infact end up with a 99.xx.xx.xx address.

Edited for spelling

10. Guides and Tutorials   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by optimgr View Post
    In response to DanielleD87's post, I also have a lynksys router but everytime I put in the default ip it asks for a user name & password. I tried using what I use for my internet log-in but that doesn't work. I don't use a password for my computer & never set one up for the modem. Can anyone help me out with this problem, comcast is killing me here. Thanks!
    Try login and P/W both as "root" failing that try "admin"

All routers have default logins and passwords......a simple google search should find it for you.......assuming you purchased the router new, and noone else has changed the log in of course.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast