Thread: USB2 External Hardrive transfer rates

hi all,

i have bought a external usb2 hard drive.

i did some read speed tests and all of them seem to give an average of about 30 - 33 MB/s

is this correct?

when i tested my SATA interal driver i get about 70MB/s for Linear reads then buffered read nearl 200mb/s

so why does this new drive cap at about 30MB/s?? is that the maximum speed USB2 can deliever?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    optimus_prime's Avatar Guardian BT Rep: +2
    well i don't think it's theoretical maximum, but it sounds like pretty normal speed for usb2 drive, not that i've benchmarked any lately

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    ok so my drive is working at the fastest speed?

will there be any downsides to this, could i say run programs etc or games from that drive?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    well why would you do that? if you want to use drive for gaming put one into machine and get normal speeds. use external drive for storage and transfer of files between boxes.
    Last edited by optimus_prime; 09-14-2007 at 08:58 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    thank you, but would it be feasible to run a program etc from the drive? or would it just be too sluggish?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    well try it, i don't know what program are you talking about

overall performance will suffer while reading and writing to external drive, so startup is bound to be sluggish, after that small stuff that doesn't do much i/o will perform as usual, and big stuff like games will be slow.

as i said, i would use it for music, movies and stuff, yes you can run programs of it but it doesn't make sense to implement such a bottleneck into your system

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    thanks for the help

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    the real speed is not the same! its a fact!...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    dont know why it does not go faster, but here i have similar speeds when I transfer data between usb devices which are 2.0 so i guess hail usb 3.0!!! hehe cnt wait for it